Chapter 13: The Sleepover I

I'd barely paid attention in class, as the teachers went on and on about atoms, calculus, and whatnot. All I could think about was the sleepover, and what I'd say to Gabriel when I finally saw him. I needed to compose my thoughts so when I finally saw him, I wouldn't look like an idiot. Just like the day before, Gabriel was MIA, when I'd ask Gabby, all she could do was shrug, before turning to look at the ceiling like something interesting was written there. I'd frowned but didn't call her out in it, since I was gonna see him soon anyway.

Jer had been my companion throughout the day, and had gladly taken Gabriel's seat to keep me company. I had to say, the more time I spent with Jer, the more I'd grown to like him, he was like my safe blanket. There was no time I spent with him, that I didn't laugh. When I first came here, I had absolutely no idea that I was gonna make friends, it had seemed so farfetched. I wasn't blessed with just a friend, but five friends, all at once. It wasn't my birthday, but I'd received the best present I'd ever received in my life.

"Why are you so happy?", Jer asked, pouting. I glanced at him, he had a red smudge on his lips, and I smiled as I reached to help him wipe it. He froze, as my hand touched his lips, but I ignored it, and wiped his lips clean while he stared at me. "You eat like a child", I scolded. It took a minute for him to stop staring. "Well, that's because I'm throwing a tantrum right now. I can't believe you guys are finna have fun without me tonight", he complained. "Are you still pestering on that?", I asked.

When I'd told him about the sleepover with the girls, and that he definitely wasn't invited, he hadn't stop pouting and complaining. We were in the field, eating lunch, because he'd basically dragged me out here from the girls saying he wanted to have lunch with me, since they were gonna enjoy me tonight. His words, not mine. He'd smudge his lips, while taking a huge bite out of his burger.

"Of course, I'm still on that. Can't I just come? I promise, you won't even know I'm there", he pleaded. "No", I said. "Please?", he asked. I sighed. "No, and that's final", I said, poking my tongue out at him, as I mocked him. He gaped at me. "Next time you do that, I won't let it go", he said. I rolled my eyes, tempted to do it again but I thought better of it. I stood up, and brushed my skirt. "Okay cry baby. Lunch's over, time to go to class", I said. He groaned, before lying down fully on the grass. getting comfortable. "No, please", he said.

I rolled my eyes. Seriously, I loved Jer, but sometimes, he genuinely gave me headache. He was more of a child than anything else, and sometimes made me feel like a mother forcing her child to do something he didn't wanna do. I took his hands, and tried pulling him up, but Jer was adamant. I huffed, as I tried to gather every ounce of fat in my body to pull him up, but I just couldn't. It was like trying to pull a very unwilling horse.

"C'mon Jer, we gotta get to class", I said. Goddamn, the boy was strong. "But I don't wanna go", he whined, he actually whined. "Well, you gotta", I huffed. "Or I would-", I was cut off when Jer pulled me towards him, and I fell right on top of him. I had never thought my eyes could open as wide as they were right then, and to say I was embarrassed would be putting it mildly. I tried to pull away from him, but Jer locked me in, and pulled me impossibly closer, his breathing heavy as he glanced at me.

"What are you doing, Jer?", I stuttered. I groaned, when I realized I couldn't jerk out of his hold. "Let me go", I said. "Or", I threatened. "Or what?", Jer smirked, he had the audacity to be so smug right now. "Or I wouldn't talk to you ever again", I said. It wasn't much of a threat, and he knew that. I'd grown to have him around, and I doubt that was changing anytime soon. "Let me go, Jer", I said, afraid of anyone seeing us in this position.

"You really are stunning, Jola", Jer said, softly, every trace of smugness gone. I gulped, this was too much, and I tried yet again to break out of his hold, but he wouldn't have it. "I'd let you go, on one condition", he said. I paused, as I looked at him. "What's that?", I asked, eager to get out of this situation. "Promise you'd think of me during the sleepover", he said. My first instinct was to roll my eyes at him, but I stopped when I realized he was not kidding. I nodded, not saying anything so as not to worsen the situation. He looked disappointed that I'd agreed easily, but he let me go, and I scrambled away from him as fast as I could. I was tempted to hit him, but I didn't.