Chapter 10: The Shack

It was a bright Monday morning, and for some reason, I was happy. This time, Mum didn't have to wake me up, which surprised her. I glanced at my phone like I'd done a thousand times to read the text Gabriel had sent me the previous night. I smiled again, before dropping my phone to go get ready for school.

I was full of energy when I sat down later in the class. I arrived a bit early today, and like I said, Mum was shocked. I brought out my Literature homework, as I tried to find a perfect ending for Hayley. Trust me, considering what she'd passed through, she deserved it a lot. I paid no attention to the people whispering as they settled down.

"Look, its our very own dear nerd", Skyy said, taking a seat. "Hi", I said. "Hi yourself", she smiled. I looked around. "Where's Starr?", I asked, not finding her anywhere. Skyy waved the question off. "She's coming", she glanced at my homework. "Whatcha doing?", she asked. "My literature homework", I replied, without looking up. "Oh, the homework Starr keeps moaning about?", she asked. I chuckled. "That'll be the one", I said. "Is she done with it?", I asked. She shrugged. "There she is. Ask her yourself", Skyy nodded at Starr.

Starr was beaming like she'd won a lottery or something. Seems like someone was also in a good mood this morning. "Why, aren't you chirpy this morning?", I teased her. Starr twirled. "Yeah, you could say that", she said. "Why, if I may ask?", I said. Skyy rolled her eyes. "She's still on this euphoria that she had an actual conversation with you-know-who", Skyy explained. "Ah", I nodded. The bell rang, followed by Miss Sarah, our English teacher. Somehow, she always had a smile on her face every Monday morning.

"We have a lot to cover today", she rubbed her hands as she stared at us. We were halfway through class when Mr Ben, my favourite principal, came in. "Guys, we have a new student", he smiled. He showed actual teeth, I don't think I've ever seen him smile, he sure as hell had a poker face on when he brought me here the first time. I glared at him, remembering how much he'd embarrassed me. I wouldn't call what I felt for him hate, but it was damn well close.

I snapped my gaze to the new guy, and I opened my mouth when I saw Jer. What the hell was he doing here? "Introduce yourself", Mr Ben said, gesturing at Jer. Jer was all smiles, as he stared at us. "Hi, my name's Jeremy Brown", he said. Gabriel let out a loud grunt, and Jer turned to him, smirking. "Hey cousin, strange seeing you here", Jer called, eyes lighting up in mischief as they stared at each other.

This got reactions from the students. The guys sized Jer up, wondering if they should see this brown haired, blue-eyed guy as a threat. The girls were another issue entirely. They ogled him, after realizing he was Gabriel's cousin, and I saw Blair reach into her blouse to cup up her breast, as she leaned it forward, staring at Jer. I rolled my eyes. Really? How many guys was this girl interested in? But I understood why they reacted like that. Not only was Jer hot, he was friendly and accommodating, unlike Gabriel who was always hostile to them.

"Isn't that the guy from the party?", Skyy asked, and I nodded, not removing my eyes from Jer. His eyes moved everywhere, seeming to look for something, or someone. His eyes found mine, and he smiled immediately, then winked, before, God help me, bowing slightly in my direction. I chuckled, I couldn't help it as I stared at him. Skyy cleared her throat, she was staring at me pointedly. My smile dropped, as I noticed everyone looking at me. Jer just flirted with me, in front of everyone, and I shrunk back in my seat, using my hand to cover my face.

Mr Ben cleared his throat, then turned to Jer. "Take a seat behind her", he said, pointing to me. "With pleasure", he said, before coming to seat behind me, I ignored him. Miss Sarah sighed, as she continued the lecture, and I leaned into it. My attention was cut short, when a hand tapped me. I turned my head, and a note was pressed to my back, I took it, and opened it, discreetly. I chuckled, before writing something and passing it back. The note had read: