Chapter 9: The Party

It was Saturday, the day I've both been dreading and looking forward to. The twins and I had gone shopping the previous day, don't blame me, they practically dragged me there and insisted we shop for clothes to wear to the party. Starr was very enthusiastic and wouldn't shut up about the it. I wished I could share some of her enthusiasm but as the day grew nearer, I was nervous, mostly because of a boy. I couldn't stop thinking about the library, and what I'd done to make him mad at me. Every time I closed my eyes, all I could see was Gabriel's brown eyes boring in mine, breath fanning my face, as our face was just an inch apart. I licked my lips, how would it feel to kiss Gabriel? To feel his tongue entering and caressing mine? I'd never know. I cleared my head to clear such dirty thoughts, God, I sounded like a pervert. What the hell is happening to me?

I glanced at my phone. 9:15am. The party was by 1, we'd made a plan that they'd come pick me up by 11:45am. I sighed, I better get ready before they come. Starr would kill me if I wasn't ready by the appointed time. By the time I was done in the bathroom, more than half an hour had pass. I hurried to put on the clothes I'd bought the day before. It was a blue pants, slit at the knee, and I shuddered to think of what Mum would say if she ever saw it. It was a good thing they weren't at home, they'd gone on a business trip.

Skyy had picked the white top, and the blue jacket, and handed it to me, saying I should try it on, while Starr picked out my Nike sneakers. The clothes were very comfortable, and I didn't argue with them, cause I loved it. I went in search of Dare, who was watching the news downstairs. I rolled my eyes at him, before taking a seat, waiting for the twins. I resisted the urge to hug him, he'd been good to me when I told him about the party, so there really was no need to annoy him. "You look beautiful", he complimented, and I smiled at him.

"Do you want me to drop you off?", he asked. I shook my head. "The twins would pick me up soon", I said glancing at my wristwatch. Dare eyes shone. "The twins you can't shut up about?", he said. I nodded. "Yes", I said. He wanted to say something but was interrupted by J, who'd just cane downstairs from her room. "Jola, is that you?", she asked, her eyes lit with surprise. I rolled my eyes at her, and smiled. "You look amazing. I haven't seen this Skyy, but if she can make you dress like this, I love her already", J said, circling and inspecting me like meat she wanna buy.

"You have a date or something?", she asked. Dare stiffened, and I blinked, before bursting out laughing. Me, a date? Yeah, right. "What? Did I say something funny?", J asked. I nodded. "No, I'm not going out on a date", I giggled again at the mere thought. "I'm going to a friend's brother's birthday party", I said. "A party?", I nodded. "You didn't tell me", she said, looking hurt. I'd forgotten to tell her about it. "Shit, I'm so sorry", I said, looking it. Dare stared at me. "Language", he hissed. I sighed, as I stared at him.

J folded her arms, as she looked at me. "Sorry?", I replied awkwardly. "Uh-uh. Sorry's not gonna cut it, young lady", she said, taking my hands. "I'm going to do your makeup", she said. I opened my mouth, but shut it immediately when I saw J's face. I looked to Dare for help, but he just looked away, staring at the wall like all the answers were there. Asshole. "Thanks for the help, brother", I said bitterly. He had the audacity to smile. "You're welcome sister", he answered, before winking at me. Oh, I'm so gonna get him back for this. He waved at me, as J dragged me away, that stupid smile still on his face. I sighed, this was gonna take long. Damn right, it did.

When J finally declared she was done, to say I was happy would be an understatement. She passed me a mirror to look at myself and I gasped. That wasn't me, no that couldn't be me. I wasn't that pretty. I blinked. A blue-eyed beauty mirrored my actions, no pun intended. J had given me blue contacts, saying it'll bring out my eyes, and it did. I had no idea makeup could make someone this pretty. She'd also styled my hair, and curled it. My hair which was usually straight, and confined in a ponytail, was pulled down in curls, framing my round face. "Man, I'm so good at this", J said, taking one last look at her work. "Thank you, J", I said. She hugged me."You're the prettiest sister I could ever ask for", she mumbled. I felt tears build up as I hugged her back.