Chapter 44: The First Date

My birthday was approaching, and I was not looking forward to it. Jer still hasn't replied any of my texts and calls, and I was not happy. Gabby had advised me to give him time, but I found it difficult to do that. However, I yielded to her advice and gave him space. I rubbed my eyes and yawned as I walked into the kitchen, to grab a soda. It was 3am, and I couldn't sleep. Whenever I did manage to sleep, I always had nightmares. I gasped when I felt a hand wrap around my waist, and smiled when I smelt Gabriel's fragrance.

"Hey", he said softly. I closed my eyes, and pressed closer to him. He smelled fresh like he just got out of the shower. His wet hair proved my thoughts. I inhaled fresh air that was filled with him. He smelt like strawberries, and damn if I didn't like strawberries. "Hi", I said. "Couldn't sleep?", he asked, and I nodded. "Yeah, me neither", he said. "Want me to prepare you some hot chocolate?", he asked. "I'd love that", I said. "Come sit", he said, and directed me to the high stool. I watched him do his work in the kitchen, and I smiled. I remembered months ago, when he'd prepared hot chocolate for me the night we both couldn't sleep. How time had passed.

He brought the cups to me, and smiled at something. "Remember that night we both couldn't sleep, and I prepared hot chocolate?", he asked. "Yeah, I remember", I said. He bit his lip and stared at me. "I have a confession", he paused, and I frowned. "What's that?", I asked. "I spilled the hot chocolate on you on purpose, just so I could spend more time with you", he said. "You didn't", I said. He laughed, and took a sip. "I did", he said. "I felt bad immediately, of course, but it was all worth it in the end", he paused and held my hand. "We kissed", he smiled. "Yeah, I remember. It was my first kiss", I admitted, took a sip of my drink, and avoided his intense stare.

"What?", I asked when he wouldn't stop looking at me. "I was your first kiss?", he asked. "Yeah". He smiled, took my cup out of reach, I grumbled. "I wanna show you something", he held my hands, and took me to his room. "Close your eyes", he instructed. "Gabriel", I sighed. "Just trust me, okay?", he said, and I rolled my eyes and indulged him. He took me somewhere, and made me stand still. "You can open them now", he said. I gently removed my hands from my face, and gasped at the room before me.

"What's this?", I breathed. "You", he said. That was true. It was a room filled with my paintings, and my pictures. This must be the closet where Jared had ripped one of his painting. Every one of them were of me. I touched one, and smiled. I was talking to Jared, and I was kissing his hair. Gabriel had captured the emotions I was feeling and laid it bare on the paper. I touched one, I was frowning in it, and I knew why. It was one of the many moments I'd checked my phone to see if Jer had texted back, and I was frowning cause he was still ignoring me.

"This is- I don't even know what to say", I said. He turned to me. "You don't have to say anything", he held my hands and stared deep into my soul. "I love you, Jolayemi Jabita". "I love you Gabriel Brown", I smiled. He pulled me closer, and met my mouth in a passionate kiss. I pulled him to me, and I kissed him back. He wrapped me around his waist, took me back to the bedroom and pulled me down slowly on the bed. I chuckled when his hair tickled my neck, and I stared up at him. I watched him, my eyes meeting his as he stared at me intently.

I traced my hand from his hairline, still meeting his gaze, to his eyes, his nose, mouth and jaw, and back up again, memorizing every inch of his face. "Why did it take us this long?", he asked. "I have no idea", I said. "I'm sorry I kissed Nessa", he said. "You have nothing to be sorry for", I smiled, as I ruffled his hair. I wrapped my legs around him and I kissed him. He smiled into the kiss, and responded instantly. I paused when I thought of Jer, and I sighed. Gabriel noticed this, and cuddled me. "What's wrong?", he asked. "I just-", I started, not sure how to even put it into words. I was thinking of my ex during our kiss?