Chapter 2: The New Girl

"Jola!",Mum called out in anger, and I snapped out of my dream. My alarm was going off in a frenzy and I reached to put it off. "Jolayemi, if I have to come meet you there", she threatened. "I'm up", I yelled back so she wouldn't yield to her threats.
I groaned as I rubbed my eyes, still feeling sleepy but I knew better than to go back to sleep. Today was the day I resume to my new school. I went to my desk to receive the brochure. 'Brown's Academy', it read in bold letters. My dad had said it was a prestigious school and they taught well.
"God help me, if you're not ready by the time I'm done with breakfast Jola", Mum called out. I gasped and made a beeline for the bathroom. I avoided looking at the mirror as I brushed my teeth. Mirrors haven't always spoken kind words to me so my reflection was almost a stranger to me. I didn't need another reminder that I was ugly.

I shook my head to disperse the thoughts as Mum's words replayed in my head. I stepped out of the bathroom to check out the clothes I'd arranged the night before. I didn't really have that many clothes seeing as my former school had a uniform and I don't go anywhere after school.
I wore the trousers and the blouse and grabbed my backpack and phone before going downstairs. Mum was setting the table alongside Jecintha who smirked at me. I rolled my eyes at her. "I thought you were going to sleep there, Jola. I don't know why you have an alarm clock if you won't wake up to it", Mum snapped. If there was one thing Mum hated the most, it was tardiness. Mum was very punctual in all she did as she had a calendar event that told her where she was supposed to be and the time she should be there.

"I'm sorry, Mum. It won't happen again", I said. "It better not", she replied. "Good morning, my beautiful family", Dad greeted. "Good morning dad", Jecintha and I echoed. "Good morning Pop", Dare greeted as he sat down. Dad smiled as he kissed Mum. "Morning beautiful", he said. Was Mum blushing? That was a very strange sight to see and Jecintha and I exchanged looks. Mum cleared her throat when she remembered we were present and she elbowed Dad softly "Take a seat", she said. "Yes ma'am", Dad said, obliging her. Mum dished out the food before taking a seat and we held our hands in prayer. "Jola, pray for us please", Mum said. "Amen", everyone echoed when I finished the prayer.

We sat in silence for a minute before Dad cleared his throat. "So, Jola, ready for your new school?". I shrugged, "I guess", I said. Dad held my hand "You're gonna do okay, princess. I mean, who wouldn't love you?", he asked. I scoffed. Everyone. But I nodded and smiled at him.  Dad turned to Dare "What are your plans today?", he asked. Dare shrugged. " I was planning on doing some shopping later in the day for college", he said. "Me too. College's resuming in a few weeks and I want to be ready before then", J said. J was the nickname I gave to Jecintha as she also calls me J.

Dare was two years older than J in age as he was 20, while J was 18. I was 15. Dare was supposed to go to college last year but he had denied the letter of acceptance from a prestigious school mainly because of what happened and also because he said he just needed space. So, he'd deferred the application and said he'd go this year. J finished high school early this year and was accepted into Harvard university with my brother.

We were all very intelligent, something Mum and Dad were proud of. So, it was no surprise that both were accepted there. If all went well, I was planning on going there too. Dare wanted to become an Engineer, J a doctor and I wanted to become a lawyer. Our parents were very proud of our ambitions and have done nothing but support us every step of the way.

"Speaking of, your Dad and I have a surprise for you", Mum said.
"What is it?", Dare asked. "Its outside", Dad said. We all rushed outside to see the surprise and I gasped when I saw it. Now, I didn't know anything about cars but this was a beaut. It was a green Porsche and she was beautiful. Dare teared up a little as he stared at it. It was his dream car, as he had always wanted one during high school but Mum had refused him saying she didn't want him to be distracted with his studies.
"So, you like it?", Dad asked. Dare squealed in excitement. "Are you kidding, of course I love it", he said. I smiled, I haven't seen him this happy in a year. Dare hugged Dad and my jaw dropped alongside everyone's. I would have laughed at our reactions if I wasn't so shocked. Dare was hugging Dad, even Dad looked surprised. But just as he was about to hug him back, Dare stepped out of the hug and cleared his throat before bringing out his sanitizer and did what he does best.