Chapter 17: The Controversy

"Jola, wait up", Jer called, catching up to me on the way to my locker. "Hey", I said, as I smiled. "Where are you going?", he asked, and I rolled my eyes, like it wasn't obvious. "To get ready for class", I said. He groaned and I glared at him. "I'm smiling, happy?", he said. "Very", I said. I opened my locker. "Speaking of, we should meet up soon for our project", I said. "What project?", he asked. I sighed. "The one where we draw each other. Sounds familiar?", I asked. "Oh that. I definitely didn't forget", he said.

"When's it due?", he asked. I pinched my nose in annoyance, as I stared at him. "In three weeks", I said, through gritted teeth. "Look, maybe I should ask someone else", I said. He held my hand. "Look, I'm sorry. Okay, here's the deal, why don't we do it over at my place tonight?", he asked. I paused. "Your place?", I asked, unsure. He nodded, and I thought about it. We really needed to finish it, as soon as possible. My house wasn't really an option right now, and I dared to think of how Dare would react about me bringing a guy home.

"Alright, your place after school it is", I agreed. I scanned the class for familiar faces, and I grinned when I saw Gabby and Skyy laughing over something, Starr was with Gabriel, chatting animatedly, and Gabriel smiled at what she was saying. What were they talking about? I headed towards Gabby and Skyy. "Hey guys", I said. "Hi", Skyy said, and Gabby smiled. "Thanks for the other day Gabby, it was fun", I said. She waved it off. "Ah, its all good", she said. "Miss Sarah's a bit late today, isn't she?", I asked. "She's a bit under the weather", Gabby replied. Jer's face brightened immediately. "So she isn't coming?", he asked. Skyy nodded, and Jer whooped. "Why does he hate school so much?", I turned to Gabby. "I'm here y'know?", he said. "I think its because he has a back up plan or something", she shrugged. "Guys", Jer put in. "So, that's why he doesn't like school?", I asked. I turned to him. "Why come here then?", I asked. He wrapped his arm around me, and leaned closer. "I came here cause of you", he said, and smirked. I hit him playfully.

I glanced towards Gabriel's direction. He was still talking animatedly with Starr, his eyes lighting up as he laughed at something she said. He didn't even look up, and didn't notice my presence. I was happy they were finally getting along, but a feeling gnawed at me. It took a second for me to realize it was jealousy. I turned away. "So what were you and Gabby talking about before we got here?", I asked. "Collins", Gabby replied. "Mark", Skky said. I sat on the table, as I peered at them. "Tell me", I squealed. "Please don't", Jer groaned.

"You're just jealous, cause no girl talk about you", I said. Jer smirked. "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that", he said. "Ew", Skyy said. "That's just gross", I replied, disgust written on my face. He leaned closer towards me, as he trapped me with his arms. "Uh, what are you doing?", I asked, suddenly uncomfortable. "Want me to show you what they talk about?", he whispered. "I bet you won't stop talking about it too", he added. My heart thundered in my chest, as Jer's breath fanned my face. I blinked, his proximity was affecting my senses.

I poked my tongue out at him, wanting to not make the situation any more awkward. "You wish", I teased. It was at that moment I realized I'd fucked up. "Get off, Jer", I said, trying to push him off when I saw him glancing at my lips, before smacking his. The jerk didn't budge. "Am I affecting you?", he asked. I scoffed, as I glared at him. "I guess that's a yes", he said, before backing away. I breathe in a sigh of relief, as I finally got my thoughts in order. I hoped no one saw that.

Everyone saw that, all eyes were on me with different reactions, as they stared at me. They didn't matter, all that mattered was Gabriel, and I sighed immediately. Knowing Gabriel, I knew he'd be mad, so I turned to him, yup he was livid. Jer smirked at him, while Gabriel glared at me. I gulped at the intensity of his gaze, and I opened my mouth to explain, when he stood up, gave me one last look, glared at Jer, before stalking out of the class. I stood up to go after him, but thought better of it, when Starr ran out if the class to go look for him, and I sat down deflated. Jer still had that smug look on his face, and I pinched my nose in anger.