Chapter 18: The Cry For Help

Over the next few days, I'd built a routine. I would talk to my friends, sometimes during class, and lunch. Whenever we had a free period, Jer and I would go to the Arts block to work on our project. We'd taken permission from Jessica if we could use the Arts block, and she'd agreed. My project was done, and it wasn't easy, the kind of headache Jer had given me before I could finish drawing him, always made me had an aspirin on hand. He wasn't done with his yet, and hadn't allowed me see his unfinished work either.

We'd become closer than ever, and we were always seen together, I was happy about that because once again, Jer became my bodyguard. That proved useful because I was avoiding Gabriel like the plague so much that in Music, I'd switch with Jer, and in Biology, Leandre who I'd grown fond of was my seat partner, for the meantime. She was always cheerful, and there was no dull minute with her.

It was Friday, and I was seating with Jer in the cafeteria, alongside the girls. I smiled as I stole one of Jer's fries again "Cousin, would you please tell Jola to stop stealing my fries like she has for the last five minutes?", Jer scolded me. Gabby turned to me. "Jola, would you stop stealing Jer's food?", she asked. I shook my head. "No". Gabby shrugged as she gestured at Jer. "Sorry, I tried", she said. Jer gaped at her, and I laughed at his expression.

I plopped another fry into my mouth, sticking out the other end to him, as I mocked Jer. I brought it closer to him, and that was my mistake. Jer smirked before taking the other end of the fry into his mouth, making it look as if we were kissing and I opened my eyes wide as I stared at him. I elbowed him in the stomach, and I scolded him. "Why would you do that?", I asked. "Well, you wouldn't stop mocking me", he smiled.

I stared at Gabby, willing her to say something. She sighed, "Jer, stop messing with Jola", she said. "You didn't tell her that when she stole my food", Jer pouted. "It was delicious", I defended. Gabby rubbed her temple. "Really guys, one would think you were the children with the way you are acting", she said. Skyy nodded, while Leandre just stared at us. "Gabriella, where's Gabriel? I haven't seen him all day", Starr asked. "Well, shouldn't you know since you guys are buddies and all?", Gabby said coldly. Ever since Starr had talked about Gabriel intentions to take her to his shack, Gabby had been acting hostile towards Starr.

Starr didn't read anything to it. "I would have but he's not picking my calls", she said. "Then you should know he needs some privacy then", Gabby snapped, and I blinked at her. Starr frowned obviously catching on to her tone. It was an awkward silence as we didn't know what to say after that. Skyy cleared her throat. "Who's up for fun this weekend?", Skyy asked. Jer raised his hand,"Me". I wasn't up for it, because frankly Starr had been getting on my nerves too lately.

I'd caught her glaring at me more times than I could count, then when I looked at her, she'd immediately smile, and I'd wondered if I imagined it. I'd also noticed that she'd been talking to Blair a lot, and when I asked her about it, she would say they had an assignment together, so I didn't put my mind on it again. She was also not talking to Skyy like before, as I'd seen them fought a lot of times. Something was definitely wrong, and I could feel it. "No one?", Skyy asked. "Rain check", I said. "I think I'd skip this one", Gabby added. Skyy pouted but didn't say anything

I groaned at the sound of my phone that had been ringing for the past five minutes. I know I wasn't beautiful, but at least every girl needed her beauty sleep. So, who the hell was disturbing my beauty sleep this Saturday morning? I groaned once again, before reaching for my phone, eyes still closed. Where the hell was it? I blindly looked around, reluctant to open my eyes. I sighed as I found it but it had stopped ringing. I tried to focus on going back to sleep when that awful thing sounded again. "Son of a-", I said, as I answered the call. "Who the fudge is disturbing me this morning?", I asked, eyes still closed.