Part 55 - Comfort

Update: Added this scene of Luna and Yurio at the start for more character insight, as the idea occurred to me last night rightttt as I was about to fall asleep, so I had to write it down immediately.

Later that evening, Yurio snuck out once again, going to his old house to reserve what was hidden there. The cold air brushed past him as he looked at the moon. He slowly let his hands drift out from his body as he closed his eyes and looked up to the sky.

"Lumis Aetheria," he spoke the casting words of the spell that would convert the moon's mysterious energy into a neutral magic his body could contain.

As he spoke the words, a subtle shift in the air could be felt as a warm glow radiated from him. He felt the energy flow into his body as he breathed calmly, channelling it to remain caged inside until he demanded.

After a few minutes passed by, he sighed, opening his eyes. He slowly raised his hand, letting frost grow as little ice sparks popped out from his fingers.

"Hm," a smile formed to see his magic restored.

Entering the house, he took his time in wondering the rooms, allowing his presence to practically become one with the house. He took a deep breath in the silence. There was something peaceful about the emptiness up in the mountains.

Eventually, he unlocked the freezer door with the key he hid around his neck, on his mom's locket. The heavy door opened with resistance.

Yurio gazed at the room's contents with an empty expression, silence once again infesting.

"You won't believe what happened today..." he let out, beginning to unleash his ice magic into the room.

"We were searching for vampires... and ended up finding an angel," he continued.

"We wanted to protect the village, you know... but..." Yurio's gaze trailed down as he recalled the devastation of Chiyo's fading life.

"... we couldn't," his voice was deflated as thoughts consumed his mind.

"You probably could have... if you were there," he mentioned with a small smile.

He gradually stopped casting ice into the room, staring into it with a pitiful look in his eye.

He slowly reached out his hand, placing it against the ice as if to try and connect to what was inside.

"But I guess you can't, huh? ... I'm sorry... I should have done better," his body deflated, head tilting down, allowing his gaze to drift to the floor.

His hand on the ice suddenly scrunched up into a fist.

"I will do better," he declared, body shaking slightly in his torment.

He sighed and closed the freezer door...

Coming out of the house, he looked up to find the surprise of Luna sitting by Yurika's grave, wings out.

Luna suddenly looked back at him, hearing the door open.

"Uh. Yurio?" Luna addressed in confusion, not expecting to see him.

"Ah, Luna?! H-how- wh-what are you doing here??" Yurio panicked, also not expecting to see Luna.

"I came to see Yurika," Luna explained.

"D-do you come here often??" Yurio urged to know, seeming rather on guard.

Luna shook her head.

"This is the first time since..." her voice trailed off, looking back at Yurika's grave in sadness.