Part 47.5 - Trust?

In the morning...

Echo's footsteps sounded down the hallway as she walked past the twins' bedroom door. Just as she was about to continue, she heard faint voices inside the room. She paused and looked towards the door.

"Tst!!" she grunted, clenching her teeth and fists.

She suddenly kicked the door open without a second thought, causing it to jolt wide open.

"Uh. Mistress? I see privacy isn't your speciality," Kyou smiled, sitting at a desk reading while Haru was on his bed, startled awake by Echo's rage.

"I see loyalty isn't yours!" She barked back, anger simmering.

"Mistress, what are you—" Haru tried to intervene, rubbing his eyes in tiredness, but Echo cut him off.

"Shut up and give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right here and now!" Echo ordered to know, summoning and swiping her sword inches from Kyou's neck.

Caught off guard, Kyou's smile faded, and a nervous expression replaced it. Haru pulled his blanket up closer to him as if it would shield him from the blade.

"Uh... what has you so distressed, mistress?" Haru nervously whimpered, his confusion and fear swept across his face.

"I saw you in the Grand Library yesterday! That where you do your training? So much for escaping the underworld! You could have gone back this whole time, you liars!!" She yelled.

The twins exchanged a nervous glance, realizing the gravity of the situation.

"Uh- no, wait, we can explain, Mistress," Haru whimpered with a shakey voice.

"You have 10 seconds," Echo growled, sword burning with her sun magic, ready to strike any moment.

"You're so hot when you're mad," Kyou smirked.

"5 SECONDS!!" Echo's fury grew.

Kyou sighed, then took a step towards Echo.

"We fixed the artefact a few days ago. Casper showed us this spell book that managed to reactive its powers," Kyou admitted, turning to a book on the desk.

He grabbed it and handed it to Echo. Echo's grip on her sword tightened, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Then why the hell didn't you tell me?!! You know we've been trying to get to the underworld for months now!!" Echo grunted, ignoring the book in Kyou's hand.

"That's why we didn't tell you," Kyou explained, lowering his arm, seeing Echo wasn't going to take it.

"Uh... What the hell are you talking about?!" Echo yelled, confusion and anger fueling her as Kyou chucked the book back on the table.

"We didn't want Mistress to get hurt. We knew how dangerous that world is, and Luna... she would be killed down there!" Haru whimpered, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"Oh, don't pretend to give a crap!! You only joined us to expose her!!" Echo accused.

"Uh- of course not! We joined your family because you found us, Mistress. You saved us..." Haru whimpered.

"Well, why else would you keep it a secret that you knew her?!" Echo demanded to know.

"We were around when she was exposed five years ago, just like Eclipse. But we didn't want to confront the situation when Luna couldn't even remember it. That's why we never revealed that Akira is the demon king, like you wanted, right?" Kyou explained.

"Then why did you confront Akira about her!" Echo argued.

"We went to expose Eclipse, not Luna! But we had to confront him about Luna to do that," Kyou explained.