Part 61 - Yukine's Mask

"... uh....!" Yukine gasped, his breath catching as he saw droplets of crimson liquid staining the floor.

Amid the chaos, Aki launched himself between Yukine and Yurio. The impact of Yukine's attack had left visible marks on Aki's skin – rips and bruises marred his arm where he had defended himself.

"WHAT?!!!!!" Galaxy's voice cracked with a mixture of astonishment and outrage.

"Aki?! What are you doing?!!" Yurio shouted in anger.

"Ha. No big deal. I only saved your life, ungrateful," Aki grunted, his arm falling limp as he released his defensive stance.

Yukine stood back, his fist trembling in front of his face, trying to conceal the mix of emotions that flooded him. Shame, guilt, and discomfort collided within him as he realized his vulnerability had been exposed.

"How did you even stop that attack? With the power I put into that, there's no way--" Yukine was cut off.

"Power? Hah. What power? You seem to be forgetting you're still a ghost demon. Against a human, sure, you look badass, but to me... your power's nothing. I've spent a lot of time trying to survive a world that resents me... believe me when I say I'm a lot stronger than I look!" Aki's tone was harsh and firm. He was serious...

"Says the guy who lost the last battle!" Galaxy interjected.

"You were playing dirty, you deviant!!" Aki yelled out to her.

Yukine had a despairing look in his eyes. His mouth trembled with anger. You could see his emotions more clearly now. But... That might not have been a good thing.

"Why did you interfere in the first place...?" he asked with a very muted tone, discomfort overwhelming him.

"Why?!" Aki repeated harshly.

His expression darkened as anger infested him, his eyes flashing red.

"...!!! Because you idiots are hurting Luna!" he yelled, furious.

"Uh! Hurt her?! I wouldn't!!!" Yurio detested.

"That wasn't my intention at all," Yukine added.

"I would never hurt Luna!! I promised I'd protect her!! This was--" Yurio was cut off.

"DOES YOUR SENSE OF JUSTICE MAKE YOU THAT NAIVE?!!!" Aki suddenly grabbed Yurio by the collar, violently forcing him off his feet.

He shoved Yurio away in an instant, making him fall back to the ground.

"You're idiots!!! You think you're protecting her when you're not! How the hell do you think it makes Luna feel seeing her friends fighting on her account?! That's not fair on her, so stop acting like a bunch of knights in shining armour; you're nothing but idiots throwing a tantrum like children!!! Galaxy said herself this was a fight for the right reasons, to show your feelings through actions, but you both chose the wrong person to fight to prove that!" Aki yelled.

"Alright, I get it..." Yukine mumbled, looking away in shame of Aki's lecture.

"NoYouDon'tGetIt.That'sWhyI'mTellingYouThatYouDon'tGetIt;BecauseYouThinkYouGetItButThat'sNotTheSameAsActuallyGettingIt!GetIt?!" Aki raged.

"Err..." Yurio and Yukine let out awkwardly, glimpsing at each other.

"Hey! You stole that line from anime!" Galaxy pouted in the background.

"Now... Both of you better apologise to Luna, or you shouldn't think yourselves worthy of having her respect in the first place! As Luna's brother, I will not allow anyone to hurt her while you play your immature games! NOW APOLOGISE!!!!" Aki ordered.