Part 70.5 - Lost Dream (NEW!)

New chapter!! Even though Uni is hectic, I couldn't help but think about Luna recently and how she's really affected by Eclipse's death. Suddenly, someone she's cared for has been taken away, yet again. All she wants is to make the world a better place, and yet she keeps facing these horrible losses. I wanted to dive deeper into her feelings with this new scene...

Echo walked through the forest, carrying a bag of medicine to help Shadow Moon recover from the battle. She passed the tree's shadows as the cool breeze brushed past her until she found the pathway that led to the castle. But in the distance, she noticed someone... Luna was sitting on a large stone, her back turned to the castle, lost in her thoughts.

"Uh, Luna... are you oh-" Echo's voice wavered as she approached, her attention drawn to what Luna was gazing at.

She stopped in surprise. In front of Luna was a beautiful gravestone surrounded by colourful flowers and green leaves. A clear pool of water shimmered below the stone, reflecting the evening sky.

 A clear pool of water shimmered below the stone, reflecting the evening sky

"You... made Eclipse a gravestone?" Echo asked.

"Well, that's what you do when someone goes away, right?" Luna's voice was quiet, tinged with sadness.

"Ah... I know, but... it's just... Eclipse was bad. Does she really deserve this?" Echo asked, feeling conflicted.

Luna didn't look up from the gravestone...

"She wasn't bad. She just had bad intentions. But she was chasing something good. It was the only thing she knew," she tried to defend, voice weak.

"Mmm, I don't know how true that is. We gave her the option of working together to save the world, but she was set on believing her way was the only right one. She was too stubborn to see reason; that's why she's gone," Echo tried to divert Luna from her pity.

"It doesn't change the fact that she once existed... and now she doesn't. How can life be taken so unfairly...?" Luna whimpered as the fire from her past flashed in her eyes, screams of her family being destroyed... for what?

My dad was killed for being a vampire... because vampires are bad... right? But... but..!!

"Even if that person is bad... does it mean they deserve to die?" Luna asked herself in an unsteady voice, eyes locked in the distance as if searching for some kind of answer among the forest...

"... I don't think she was ever going to change," Echo mentioned, trying to be gentle in her disagreement.

Luna's gaze lowered in a disheartened acceptance... 

"Yeah... You're probably right. I tried so hard to reason with her... even as she swung at me with her blade... I offered her a way out of this mess. A way that neither of us had to die..." Luna's voice heightened as tears gathered, memory of Eclipse's vanishment crushing her words. Her hands lay before her, palms facing her as she desperately looked at them as if they were the reason Eclipse was gone.