Chapter Eight - Guns Blazing

My eyes kept darting to the wall clock as my 3 hours started to come to a finish. Ugh I need more time! I had actually caught up to my work two hours ago! Why am I such a hardworker? Maybe its cause I'm competitive. In school whenever we got work to do I would make damn sure that I finished first all the time. There was no way in hell Becky the buck tooth bitch, who stopped being friends with me in year 2 because I got to kiss Simon before she did, was going to finish the work before me. Her Dad was rich and she loved to shove it down everyones throats when ever she got a new barbie doll. Dumb Bitch.

Liam thinks its because I'm single and that I have nothing better to do with my life than to be misrable and stay long hours at work to fill the void of being high maintence. In someways he is right but I would never admit that to him. He just likes getting on my case because I, maybe, kind've, did...get with his little brother and then just left his house in the wee hours of the morning. Liam wasnt impressed and didnt talk to me for a week. I just wasnt ready for the commitment.

I dont usually hook up with random men but that was my one exception.

I had been dating Bobby-Lee for two years and I had already started to hear the faint sounds of wedding bells in the not to distant future. Untill one day I was working and recieved a two page text message about how unhappy he was and that he was leaving. OVER A FRICKEN TEXT MESSAGE! Pulling a sicky at work I had driven home to discover all his shit gone, along with the T.V that I  had brought and found my heart shattered into a million pieces. Caz came over after she had finished work and told me to get over one guy was to get under another. Best advice my baby sis has ever given me. Liam's little brother just happen to be my first and ONLY victim.

Looking up I saw Brian standing outside his office giving me a stern look. Bugger now I really bave to leave.

"OKAY!! Jeez! I didn't know you were so good at keeping time."

"I'm not. Liam told me you had 20mins before he left." Brian laughed while he raked a hand through his silver hair.

"That traitorous barstard!" I mumbled to myself. I loved my job. I don't know whether it was the thrill I got from the unknown job ahead or whether it was the people I got to work with. The mutual love and respect we had for eachother was just apart of the job.

"Cameron, you're needed urgently! Liam just called and asked for you." Sharon was the in charge of our communication unit.

"But I'm off duty."

"He knows but he said its ugent. He said something about a Darrel and a Tilly?" She replied breathless.

"Okay." I said while standing hurriedly.

"Where do you think you're going?" Brian had interupted me while I was straping my kevlar vest and checking my gun.

"I've been called out."

"No, you haven't! You are not on today!" He replied hastily.

"Please sargent! Liam ask for me specifically! Its a repeat offender." My eyes finally meet his as I'm strapped, locked and loaded.

"All the more reason to send someone else out, Cameron. You don't need to be the hero!" He said sternly.

"I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A HERO! Look I'm going out there and I really dont give two shits if you fire me or not." He looked at me in surprise. Shit, even I was surprise by what came out of my mouth and it was directed at my boss.

"If you lose your life over this I'm telling everyone at your funeral that you were a stubborn little sod and a right pain in my ass!" I was already half way out the door before he finished the rest of that sentence.

I hopped into the awaiting police car and looked at Sharon. She nodded at me knowing that I would recieve punishment from Brian. We drove off as silence started to fill the car. This isn't the first time we've had issues with Darrel and Tilly. They were known to us as Darrel had a quick temper and thought with his fists. Tilly was the forever doting wife who wouldn't press charges and stayed with him and his drinking problem. No matter how much I begged her to leave she would return and we would get a call a few weeks later of a domestic. It still amazes me how much women would actually put themselves through just so they don't lose the one they love. It drives me crazy.

"Liam. Whats going on?" Sharon had dialed in.

"He has a gun and Tilly is at the end of it."

I was standing with my gun at the ready out in front of me. Tilly was bloodied and bruised with a fist full of her hair in Darrels large hand. She was on her knees in the middle of her drive way looking at me with tears streaming down her face. I swollowed the lump that had formed in my throat. Now was not the time to get emotional, Cameron!

"Darrel put the gun down! It doesn't have to be this way." Liam urged. Three other police men had their guns raised and took positions behind their car doors. Sharon and I did the same.

"Shut up! Shut, just shut up!" Darrel spat out. "She's trying to leave me. This little bitch right here is trying to leave me?! Nah, not happening."

"Darrel, listen to me." I spoke strongly.

"Carmeron stand down! Thats an order!" Liam yelled at me.

"Be quiet Liam! Be quite!" I hissed to him standing a few metres away.

Darrel looked up and stared at me, hate seeping through the words that followed.

"You! You little bitch! You're the one that has been giving her ideas about leaving me!" He lifted his gun and waved it at me.

"PUT THE GUN DOWN!" Liam screamed.

Darrel laughed a deep laugh and pointed the gun back at Tilly. "SAY GOODBYE TO YOU'RE FRIEND TILLY!"

*BANG*