Chapter 37 - Sparkly Lights

I had my phone down between my legs where I was sure Jack couldn't see it and started to text Emily. 'If I don't return tonight, Jack has taken me out towards twin lakes, near the tararua ranges. We're still driving down a dirt road in no mans land. He hasn't told me where we're headed. Not gonna lie, freaking the fuck out.' I pressed send before looking back out the front window casually and staring out to a clear night that was slowly turning dark.

Jack and I had been driving for the past 45 minutes and we passed twin lakes a long time ago. I initially thought we were going to twin lakes because 1) Twin lakes is the only partially romantic place out here, and 2) Its where everyone goes to get laid, if you get my drift. I lost my virginity there with Ben Van Kloat, the captain of our first XV Rugby team and the head boy who was two years my senior. It was great and now he plays for the All Blacks, so 10 points to griffindor. We had turned down this dirt road 15 minutes ago and I still didn't know where we were headed.

I shuffled in my seat and turned and faced him, my patients obviously wearing thin.

"Jack Thompson, where on earth are you taking me?" I said as I glared at him with a sour face. He turned his head slightly and gave me a slight grin before focusing back on the road.

"You'll see." He said as he stared at the winding road in front of us.

"Oh well, this is just great, spend 26 years on earth just to be taken to the top of a hill to be sacrificed in some kind of bullshit ritual." I murmed. "Well, can I at least have one last meal before you murder me?"

"Yeah, sure." Jack said casually as he shrugged his shoulders. My head whipped so fast to face him that a pain shot up my neck, but I ignored it, too angry to take notice.

"What?" I whispered quietly to a calm looking Jack, who drove with one hand hanging lazily on the steering wheel.

He turned to me before laughing a rich laugh. "I'm kiding! Look, we're here now."

I looked up and saw a large tree with fairy lights dangling around its branches. There was a blanket, picnic basket and pillows that littered the groud perfectly. Then I saw it, I don't know how I missed it. The lights from Claireview sparked in the distance, along with other districts not too far away and I realised this was a private look out. This was the stuff you read about in books and here I was, on the most perfect first date with Dr. McFuck-Me-Right-Now. I turned my head to look at him and found him smiling and staring right at me.

"The view is beautiful." I whispered as I tried to hide the excitement ready to burst through my lips.

"Yeah it is!" It took me a few seconds to realise he was taking about me.

"You did not just say that!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, I did." He smiled as he leaned in and took hold of my lips. I smiled into the kiss and it felt magical. This felt magical. He pulled back and leaned back behind my chair and reached for something. "Excuse me beautiful. Pizza?"

I stared at the pizza bag in his hand and looked at him in adoration.

"How did I not smell it?" I asked as curiousity got the better of me.

"Because I'm what people would call a Pizza wizard." He joked as he hopped out of the car. I followed him as he lead me to the picnic blanket.

Before I knew it 2 hours had passed and we had finished the pizza and the wine. I sat leaning back on my hands and looked out to the shimmering lights, loving the calm feeling that had washed over me. Natures orchestra was out in full force, as I assume everyone was saying goodnight to one another. The birds tweeted and the cicadas sqealed, the night was perfect. I sighed and looked over to Jack who was already looking at me.

"What?" I asked as I all of a sudden felt self concious. Did I have something in my teeth? Did I eat too much? Did I drink too much wine? Oh my god! He regrets coming out with me because I eat like a pig. Well it was fun while it lasted.

"I was just wondering what you're thinking." He stated simply. What was I thinking? Better yet, what was I thinking about that I can say out loud without him running for the hills?

"About where we're headed next." I said in an unfimiliar voice. Did I just say that? Gosh, I go on a date once with a doctor and now I'm confident to make such a bold statement. I looked over at him and he looked back at me lust filled eyes before standing and reaching out a hand to me.

"And where's that?" He asked as he pulled me up and close to him. I studied his facial features and saw curiosity in his eyes. He was so beautiful. The moon, which had finally shown its face, peered up behind the clouds and shone directly on his face making him look like a god.

"My place." I stated in a hopefully seductive voice.