Chapter 18 - Pick Up Lines

The rehearsal dinner cleared quickly after the formalities had finished and I was left packing away pre-wedding gifts from the close family and friends. I've never heard of pre-wedding gifts but then again I've never been fully invested into a wedding like I have been in this one. 

"Thanks Jonah, I'll see you tomorrow." I said as I waved good bye to the caterer. 

"Are you okay to walk home alone? I can give you a ride. Its getting pretty late." Jonah said quietly.

"No, I'm okay thank you. Its just two minutes away." I replied while I started to make my way to the open road. 

"Okay. See you tomorrow." He drove off quietly in his van.

The sun had started to set and there was a slight chill in the air but I didn't care, this was the perfect walking weather. Now, I just hope the weather holds up for Caz's wedding tomorrow as the reception is going to be held in a huge marquee looking out to the sea. I cannot believe that Caz is getting married tomorrow. It felt like just yesterday she came home crying because a boy called her fat. I had gone to his house and gave him him a good beating; I got in trouble but it was worth it. From that day forward no one messed with my little sister.

I was too busy smiling to myself when someone grabbed my arm. I instantly went into self defence mode. I grabbed the persons hand and stepped to the side before bending over and flipping the person over using my hip. My adrenaline was pumping and I knew I was in no serious danger, thats what my police training was for. Once the person was on the ground, I grabbed the persons throat before I froze at who I had my knee on. 

"Jack! What the fuck!" I screamed. My adrenaline was still pumping but I was nervous. 

"Holy-s-shit-b-balls! You're-ch-choking-m-m-me." He managed to squeeze out. I released my grip on his throat and lifted my knee from his chest. I knelt next to him trying to steady my heart rate. I could've killed him.

"What were you thinking?!"

"I was thinking that you would need someone to wa-" He started coughing and gripping at his throat. "To walk you home. I thought you would need my protection. Boy was I wrong." He sat up looking amused.

"What are you smiling about? I could've killed you! Why would you grab someone like that when its getting dark?" I asked angrily.

"I told you I would walk you home and I always keep my promises." He said smiling at me. This kid is something else! "You know for a girl your really quick and strong! I didn't realise what had happened untill I looked up to see your angry eyes glaring down at me. It was kind of sexy." I stared at him incredulously. This boy needed his head examined! I don't think he understands that I was going in for the kill. I don't care if it was a woman or a man, if someone creeps up on me and grabs me, they would be dead. I stood up and walked way. What a bloody drongo!

"Wait! Where are you going?" He caught up with me and grabbed my arm again. This kid deffinately had a death wish. I stopped and stared down at his hand and then back at him. 

"Get your hand off my arm, now." He quickly removed his hand.

"Okay, sorry. Where are you going?"

"HOME!" I squealed angrily.

"Wait, look I'm sorry. I just really think we should get to know eachother better, considering you want to use handcuffs on me." He grinned while looking down at me.

"Shut up! Gosh, you seemed so normal back at the hospital."

"I'm a professional, so I have to act normal at work." We started walking up the long street in silence. "So, I was thinking about all the other times that we've met and do you know we haven't actually met eachother...like formally."