Chapter 30 - The Babies

I must have fallen asleep somewhere along the way as I could feel someone slipping their hand under my legs. My hand shot out and clasped the throat of the person who dared to take advantage of me while I was sleeping. My eyes flew open and I managed to stop my fist, which was inches away from this persons face, just in time to see Jacks wide and surprised eyes. 

"It's okay! I'm not going to hurt you!" His eyes went soft when he saw the fear in my eyes. He stepped back and gave me room to get out of the car.

"Were you going to carry me inside?" I asked with a slight grin on my face. I've never had a man carry me inside my house before, I've always found it so cliche and well, the previous men I've dated were too weak to carry my voluptuous ass anywhere so I just stuck to walking inside.

"Yeah, you were asleep. Are you grining at me?" He asked with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, its just that I've never been lifted inside my house. How were you going to get inside my house with no key?" 

He plaused for a long moment before he broke into a large smile. "Well, I didn't really think that far a head, I guess I just wanted you in my-"

"OH! Please don't say my arms." I interrupted.

"Why?" 

"Because my ex-boyfriend Bobby-Lee, who is now gay may I just add, use to say it all the time. Plus, its super cheesy." I said while shaking my head trying to rid the memory of Bobby-Lee.

He started laughing while pretending to wipe away tears, he only stopped when I coughed to clear my throat. "Sorry, but his name is Bobby-Lee."

"So?" 

"His name is Bobby-Lee! That name doesn't get any gayer if you tried." Jack stated.

"Theres nothing gay about the name Bobby-Lee and anyhow, he was great in bed thats whats important here." I deffended. Could you really tell if someone was gay just by their name that their parents gave them? Thats discrimination by association of a name. 

His face turned serious and he looked as though he just swallowed a rock. "When he was having sex with you he was probably picturing a man." 

I froze and looked at him with a tight face. Did he really just say that? How would he know? Maybe Bobby-Lee did picture having sex with a man, but Jack didn't need to ruin the great memories I spent with Bobby-Lee. 

"Fuck! Cameron I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I got jealous." The look on his face showed me sencerity and regret.

"You just sounded like my mother." I said as I stepped away from the car and slammed the door. I started making my way up the stairs to my front door when the words 'I got jealous' resounded through my head. "Wait, did you just say you got jealous?"

"Yeah." He replied simply.

"Why would you get jealous?" I questioned hoping he would give me the answer my ears have been longing for.

"Have I not made it any more obvious over the past few days? Talk about needing to spell it out." He mumbled. He paused for a long moment before he walked up the stairs and stood right in front of me. He stared at me deeply before smiling at me. "I like you. I like the way you smile. The way you held onto Tilly's hand in the hospital as though she would die if you did let it go, made me like you even more. The first day I laid eyes on you I knew I liked you. You have a weird off beat sense of humour and you make me laugh. I really, really like you." THANK YOU GOD! Before I knew what I was doing I felt myself leaning in, his beautiful face only inches away. Jack liked me! Jack. Liked. ME! Ahhhhhhhh! This was it. This is was going to be our I first kiss. 

"Cameron, are you okay?" My neighbours voice came from over the fence, before I saw her pop her head above the fence. Mrs. Astle, you have the worst timing in the world! "Oh god! Were you two just about to kiss? Oh, I have the worst timing in the world. I am so sorry! Do you want to carry on? You know what carry on, I wasn't even here." Well that was blunt and surprisingly honest. She was about to pop back down before I stopped her. 

"Wait! I should get Lisa and Bart now, if thats okay with you?" I asked politely. 

"Oh, yeah! Thats fine! I'll be right back." She said as she popped down and out of site.

"Lisa and Bart are they your...pets?" I heard from behind me. I turned back around to see a confused looking Jack who was staring at me intently.

"No, my kids." I stated simply before reaching down into the nearest pot plant and retrieved my spare house key. "I'm joking. They're my dogs, but they are like my kids."

"You keep a spare key in a pot plant? Outside your front door? Isn't that against police policy or something?" He asked as he looked at me incredulously.

"No, its fine." I said while opening my front door. "Everyone on this street knows I keep a hunting riffle. Plus I have Lisa and Bart. The Astle's next door are claybird shooters and on the other side of me is Damon, he's a hunter and owns a bunch of hunting weapons. He's a good friend of Edward, great guy he is."

I threw the key back in the pot plant and waited awkwardly for Mrs. Astle to show up. I looked over at Jack who was standing on the far side of the porch looking thoughtful.

"Why Lisa and Bart?" He asked as he lean't against the porch railing with his hands jammed into his pockets.

"Simpson fan. Plus, I adopted them together so it just seemed right." I said as smiled brightly. I remember the day I went looking for a pet. My life seemed relatively in order and I wanted a new challenge. A new dog sounded perfect. When I went to the pound they informed me that they had just recieved two new puppies that morning, so I decided to check them out. In one basket lay two beautiful and cute puppies. I fell in love and the rest is history.

I looked up to see Mrs. Astle walk around the front of my fence with both dogs on their leash. They were both so excited to see me that they bolted towards me, lucky Mrs. Astle is smart and let go of the leash or else she would've went flying.

"Hello my babies! Did you miss me? Huh? Did you miss mama?" I rubbed both their heads roughly and tickled them behind the ears. Before long Bart noticed Jack there and turned around and started barking. "Bart! Cut it out! Settle down. Sit" Bart being a good boy came and sat next to me in a protective manner. 

"You have a german shepard and a saint bernard, how do you feed them?" He asked as he patted Lisa on the head, who had taken a liking to Jack.

"I don't know, sell my body on the street, you know how it is." I joked. 

Mrs. Astle bursted into laughed and I hadn't realised she had walked up the steps. "Mrs. Astle thank you so much for looking after my babies! It means the world!" I said greatfully.

"Oh, please! They are the most well trained and well behaved dogs I have ever met, its always a pleasure. Also," She took a long pause and looked between Jack and I. "Your brother called. He said to keep and eye out for you." Her face wrinkled slightly and it really showed her 65 years of age.

"He told you didn't he?" I said while sighing. I looked over at Jack who was now crouched next to Lisa rubbing her belly, then my eyes shifted to Bart who was still sitting on his hind legs as though he was getting ready to protect me. 

"I'm not going to lie to you, you've already had plenty of lies thrown your way in this lifetime. Didn't I say your father was an asshole? Excuse me Jesus! Edward called me to let me know that you were on your way here. Look, I'm not going to feed you bullshit like, 'Forgive and Forget' or 'We all make mistakes', but I will say this, time heals all wounds. Right now, you may have hate running through your viens like a virus, but it wont last forever." She looked at me with sympathy and I ran to her and wrapped my arms around her. She returned the hug and squeezed me tightly. Tears had escaped and I went to wipe it but she beat me to it. "It hurts me so much to see you cry, usually I would tell you not to cry but you've been hurt so you just cry." She pulled me back to her and I couldn't help but shed a few more tears. "Okay honey, go inside and I'll see you tomorrow." With that she turned around and walked out the front gate. I turned around and looked at Jack who looked at me seriously.

"Come on, lets go and have a cuppa tea." I said while ushering Lisa, Bart and Jack inside.