Chapter 14 - Problem Solver

Before the ladies could attack Jack and rip his clothes off, I had hurriedly escorted him inside to see Caz. His cheeks shone with a light smatering of red and his eyes sparkled lightly. I managed to close the door before my mother made her way through the large an elegant doorway. I didn't need her to complicate things between Jack and I. I didn't need my Mum to pimp me out with a hot doctor, I just needed her to back off and leave me to work my own magic by myself. Who was I kidding; my own magic has resulted in me having three failed long term relationships and one of them being a failed engagement. 

I looked up and stared at the closed door, I sighed heavily and turned my head slightly over my shoulder. Jack stood with his hands shoved into his pockets and looked up at me, curiosity sparkling within. 

"Up the stairs. First door to the left." I said while trying to grab hold of what little dignity I had left. 

"Ah, are you okay?" He asked softly. 

"Me? Yeah, Why?" I shrugged lightly trying to brush off his concerned face.

"Its just that you look...embarrassed by what your Mum said. Is there any...any truth in what your Mum said?" He looked at me and smiled tightly. Oh my fuck! Mother was going to get a lecture from me later on tonight. How dare she! 

"Jack?" Caz's voice invaded my ears and thankfully for that or else I would've made myself look like a creepy, obsessive girl who likes a guy after just meeting him. I mean, what girl does that? ME? Do I like him? Nah! Although he is very goodlooking and I do find him attractive. 

His eyes darted up towards the stairs landing and brightened as he saw Caz. Why didn't his eyes brighten like that when he looked at me? Damn you Mother and Father. Her beauty was regal and oozed elegance, she looked like a woman you would take home to your mother. I wanted to be Caz for one day, to have everyone look at me like I was the most unique and beautiful creature to grace the earth. Dreams are for free.

"Hey! There's the beautiful bride-to-be!" Jack exclaimed excitedly. A wave of jealousy hit me and I suddently felt nauseous. This was an unfimiliar feeling and I didn't like it at all, it left a sour taste in my mouth. Who would've thought; jealousy's not a nice emotion to feel.

"What are you doing here?" She asked excitedly.

"To have a look at your ankle. Your Mum wanted me to look at it. How are feeling?" 

"Excuse me." I said quietly as I walked passed Jack. They carried on chatting away and somehow that hurt. I thought that maybe they would acknowledged that I was leaving them. Ugh, stuff both of them! 

I walked out the back to the garage to look for the quad bike; I have alot of shit to sort out before tomorrow and I don't have long to do it. What does the maid-of-honour actually do? I thought about this for a longtime before I decided to google search it on my phone. It's a valid question. Alright, 'What does a maid of honour do?' I typed into the google search box. One: Lead the bridesmaids. Two: Help shop for dresses. Three: Offer to help the bride with pre-wedding tasks. THE LIST IS LONG! It doesn't say anything about not talking about pimples or fat ankles. Ugh! I can't go anywhere, I have to stay here and make important calls.

I found myself walking upstairs towards Dad's study, lifting my feet lightly trying not to make a sound as I passed Caz's room. I stopped in my tracks when I heard her laugh.

"Hey, so whats up with your sister?" Jack's deep voice asked. I pressed my head on the door and tried to steady my loud breathing. 

"What about her?" Caz asked.

"I don't know. She's," He paused an unbearably long pause. "different from you or the twins. She has a funny off beat sense of humour. She's nothing like your Dad."

"She's a great sister. She's just, I don't know. She's not great at keeping relationships with men and she doesn't have that much friends. She's incappable of having relationships with people cause she compares herself to everyone. That's where her humour comes in I guess. I don't know, maybe her brain isn't wired properly. But, she would give you the shirt off her back in a heart beat. If you're planning on getting with her just...be kind."

I had tears rolling down my face. I didn't know whether to burst in there and deffend my improperly wired brain or hug my sister. I turned and carried on walking toward Dad's office not wanting to hear what Jack had to say. Was I really incappable of having relationships? Or was I just picky with the people I got close with? I wiped furiously at my tears after sitting for ten minutes crying to myself. I heard Caz's door open and then close. I should really get started on these phone calls. 

After grilling the caterers about not having their shit together. I made a prompt call to the florist to give them a piece of my mind. On the third ring they picked up.

"Florista, you're speaking with Gemma, how may I help you?" A chirpy young sounding voice answered plolitely.

"Hi Gemma, this is Cameron Henderson calling on behalf of Carol Henderson, who is getting married tomorrow. I was wanting to know what is happening with the bouquets?"

"Henderson. Henderson. Henderson. Ah! I found it. It says here that they are ready and should be delivered anytime soon." The slight quiver in her voice made told me she was lying.

"Gemma, how old are you?" 

"19, why?" She asked cautiously.

"Okay, heres the thing. Now listen carefully to every word that comes out of my mouth, okay. I know that you are lying. Infact you are a terrible liar and I hate liars. So, I'm going to ask you again what is happening with the bouquets my sister ordered?"

"I'm sorry! I only started this job a month ago. Its been sent to the wrong place and that place happens to be a three hour drive away, so my boss has gone to get them back. I promise you, the flowers will be coming today...just late at night." Gemma said in a rush.

"Well thats good to know. Now don't ever try to lie again 'cause you just sound dumb. Call me on this number when the flowers are to be delievered here, got it?" 

"Yes, ma'am."

"Don't let me down." I hung up before she could reply. I guess I could've been a bit nicer to her but we pay alot of money to get the top quality flowers along with top quality service. Lets just say they wont be getting a 5-star rating from me. Now I have to hunt down those damn rings and the veil.

There was a soft knock on the door. 

"Come in." I answered.

"Hey! I heard you talking on the phone." Caz's soft voice travelled through the air.

"Yeah, just sorting everything out before rehearsal dinner." I said while looking down at my watch. "Which starts in 15mins! Why aren't you making you're way over to the venue?" 

"Cause I wanted to go with you. Everyone is already on their way. The aunties and people who aren't apart of the wedding rehearsal have already left and gone home. I just," She paused and looked down at her hands before looking at me. "I just wanted to ask if you were okay. With the whole Dad thing that is."

"Look this time isn't about me, its about you. I shouldn't have pushed Dad. Lets just focus on getting you into your wedding dress and finding your rings and veil." I replied lightly.

"Cameron, if things get too much. Just let me know okay. Any questions, just ask away." 

"I have one question. I over heard you talking to Jack when I was walking passed and I heard you say to him that I'm incappable of having relationships. Do you really believe that?" 

"I...I was just saying. Look, Cameron I'm going to be honest with you because you are always so honest with me. Fat ankles and pimples! Sorry about the vase thing." She said while looking own in embarrassement. I sat waiting eagerly for her honesty. "You push people away when they get too close to you. You do things that will make them leave instead of believing that they love you for you. Why do you push them away?"

I sat staring at my little sister, her words too close to home. I push people away? I'm a pusher. Why couldn't I accept people love? 

"I don't know." I replied simply. She gave me a reassuring smile that told me she wouldn't press the matter. She reached her hand out and guestured for me to follow her. 

No matter how annoying and dramatic, I loved my baby sister.