Chapter 17 - Rehearsal Dinner

Edward and I walked back into the venue laughing and joking about my dramatic mental breakdown. Edward kept calling it a mental breakdown and I called it a panic attack. He was cracking the jokes, I was threatening his life if he ever told anyone about this. As we entered we saw everyone had taken their seats and the formalities of a rehearsal dinner were close to starting. I was about to sit down with Edward at the bridesmaids table, which Edward insisted he was allowed to be apart of, when someone wrapped their hand around my arm.

"Nope, the Maid-of-Honour sits with the Best Man." Jack stated as he started to pull me to his table. I turned around to look at Edward who just shrugged his shoulders and started to make a kissing face. For an older brother he was very much still immature. The other bridesmaids smiled and wiggled their eyebrows. Emily went so far as to make obsene and indecent hand gestures.

"I've never heard of a Maid-of-Honour and Best Man sitting together at a rehearsal dinner." I wispered hurriedly as we weaved through the other tables finally arriving to Jack's allocated table. He pulled out my seat and pointed for me to sit down.

"Please, sit." Jack said calmly and quietly.

"I would much rather prefer to sit at my own seat." 

"Sit. Now." Jack said with no room for argument. I looked at him and then down at the seat and sighed. I looked over at Ethan who stared at us confused before I looked away. I had totally forgotten Ethan was a groomsman and was sitting at this table. When I was finally seated I looked up to see Caz and Daniel glaring at both of us. Caz looked shocked and amused, Daniel looked shocked and...angry? Why would Daniel be angry? Its not like I wanted to sit with Jack. I looked away quickly and met the dissapproving stare of my father. Great now I'm back in his bad books. We didn't get to talk after the wedding rehearsal as I got the call from Gemma telling me that the flowers were ready and need to be signed for. My eyes scanned Dad's table and I my eyes were met with my Mothers eyes, which sparkled and danced in amusement. I knew she would be over the moon about this little change in seating plan. 

"Would you like a drink?" Jack asked casually beside me.

"What are you doing?" I asked quietly.

"I'm asking the beautiful lady if she would want a drink. What drink would you like?" 

"Nothing." I said as I tried to stand up before he pulled me back down again. "What do you want?"

"Why were you crying outside?" He asked, his voice just above a wisper. The serious look in his eye made me shiver with...excitement.

"Thats none of your business. Look, you are causing a scene and my father already hates me and I really don't want to add to that list right now, okay. So could you please remove your hand from my thigh, before I break each one of your fingers!" I wispered angrily.

He looked down to my thigh and removed his hand as though he didn't know he had placed it there. "Okay, but can you just tell me why you were crying?" He pleaded.

"No." I stated simply as I plastered on a fake smile and walked calmly back to my allocated seat. I sat down and made eye contact with a passing waiter. Thank god for that.

"What can I get you ma'am?"

"5 tequilla shots with lime and salt. Also can you get me a screwdriver, less screw more driver thanks." I said while looking at Edward. 

"Sorry, so tell me again how Jack doesn't like you." Edward wispered loud enough for our whole table to hear. He and the bridesmaids laughed loudly which made everyone else around us go silent.

I hadn't realised how silent everyone was when I said. "Go fuck yourself, Edward!" Loud gasps around the room were heard and I knew I was going to get told off by Dad and most likely Mum.  

Dad stood up and announced that dessert was going to be served. Everyone went back to their conversations and finally our tequilla shots arrived.

"Are you going to drink those on your own?" Georgia asked quietly from beside me.

"No." I said while passing the tequilla shots to Edward, Sarah, Emily and then to Georgia. "We are drinking these. To being single! 'Cause last time I checked everyone sitting at this table is still single. So lift your glasses."

"SINGLE!" We all chanted together. I licked the salt I had sprinkled onto my hand and drank the tiquilla, it slipped down my throat and burned all the way down to the pit of my empty stomach. I shoved the lime in my mouth and squirmed at the sour taste it left in my mouth. I looked up and instantly my eyes connected with Jack's from across the room. He looked expressionless and just stared at me. Caz started walking over to us and held a tight smile.

"Hey! Can I have a word with you outside." She grabbed my arm and started to pull me outside. "Whats going on with you? You've been crying, everyone can tell."

Before I could reply Dad, Mum, Ethan and Edward walked out the door. "Whats going on? Why does it look like you've been crying?" Dad asked as he stopped in front of me.

"I haven't been crying, I had an allergic reaction to something and Edward gave me a shot to clear it. I'm fine." I lied smoothly.

"Well we know thats bullshit. Whats wrong?" Ethan asked.

"I just told you. Look, why are we standing out here? Lets get inside." I slipped my arm behind Caz's back and pulled her with me inside. I gave her a reassuring smile and walked to my seat.

Before long dessert was served, which I scoffed down faster than you could say 'Bobs your uncle'. Daniels parents stood up and made a cute speech about how lucky he was and how excited they were that their only son was getting married.

Mum and Dad followed with a beautiful speech which included many digs at Edward and I, about us still being single, we laughed it off and drank it down with continuous shots of Vodka. Then it was mine and Jack's turn.

Jack and I stood side by side and looked at eachother awkwardly before I started talking.

"Thank you all for being here tonight, it means the world to Caz and Daniel that you could be apart of their special day. So thank you. Jack and I have presents for the bride and groom to say thank you for picking us, although Jack was pulled into this roll today, I know he will do a smashing job tomorrow. I do have handcuffs handy if he gets out of hand." Everyone laughed and I smiled at Jack.

"Is that a threat or a promise?" Jack asked with eyebrows raised.

"Both." I mumbled to myself.

I didn't think he heard me untill he laughed out loud and wispered in my ear. "I can't wait." I stared at him open mouthed too shocked to say anything as he grabbed the gift bags and handed them off to Caz and Daniel. He grabbed two champagne glasses and handed me one, which I reluctantly grabbed.

"To Dan and Caz!" We both said.

"Dan and Caz!" Everybody repeated.