Chapter Seven - Work Mates

I arrived at my work desk with a box of chocolate and a caramel soy shot latte with a sprinkling of chocolate just the way I like it.

"Boner Patrol!" yelled a familliar voice 10 metres away. I swiftly and instinctively raised my hand and pulled my middle finger towards the direction of the voice with eyes lowered to the paper work infront of me.

Seconds later a hand slid over mine and pushed my middle finger down to join the rest, my eyes snapped up in annoyance and playfulness only to find my boss glaring down at me with hooded eyes.

"We are grown adults. We do not pull the middle finger in a work place," He paused and moved his eyes to the direction of Liam. "Even if the reciever of said middle finger is the most annoying creature to walk this planet." A slight smile played on my bosses lips.

Brian Adamson was the senior sargent incharge who was kind and loved to joke around but knew that there was a time and place for fun and games.

Liam plastered a shocked look on his face. "Annoying creature? Boss, that hurt." He replied jokingly as he placed both his hands over his heart in mock seriousness.

"What are you doing here? You have the whole week off last time I checked." Brian turned and faced me.

"I know." What else was I supose to say? That 'My Father hates me and I'm nothing but a huge dissapointment to him and his perfect family of Doctors and Nurses. And he thinks I'm a whore! Didn't want to hang around for my Grandma to add in her dissapproval of my life choices.'

"So what are you doing here?" I looked over at Liam who looked back at me quizically.

"You know...just...um...just wanted to complete...you know...get some work out of the way."

"Well alright then but three hours max then you have to bugger off. I hope you know I dont plan on paying you for coming in right?" Brian questioned.

I just nodded in response wanting this conversation to be over with already. He walked away while I stared at his retreating back.

I imagined Brian must've got all the ladies back in his younger days, he was so...suave. His walk was filled with cofidence as well as pride and he had a hint of arrogance that seeped into his relaxed lazy smile. He had silver hair with a slight show of hair loss and he smelt of sandalwood, it was amazing. He was in his mid 50's but I would still bang him. That's if his heart didn't give out. Apparently he suffered from a heart attack a few years before I arrived here. I mean jeeze can you imagine! Was it normal to say your boss smelt amazing?

"So! What are really doing here?" I jumped up in my seat as Liam's forgotten presence had startled me half to death.

"Bloody hell Liam, you scared me!"

"So why are you really here?" he stood and rolled his chair over to my desk without breaking eye contact. Eye contact was his specialty when it came to intterrogating people. He would do this thing where his eyes turned hard, his jaw locked and he would look at you like he could kill you at any moment.
I never realised how scary it was untill now, before I realised what was happening I started to sqirm in my seat. I didnt want him to know about the shit with my father but he looked at me as though he already knew.

"OKAY! Jez stop already. I'll tell you!"
His face softened and a bright smile escaped. "I knew it would work on you. You've gone soft Cameron, I'm dissapointed in you."

"Fuck you!" I wispered. A loud laugh escaped from his chest and made the whole table rumble.

"Cameron you're still the same." His laughed died down and was replaced by a  face of concern. "So can you tell me why your really here? My guess is that it has something to do with that poorly covered bruise on the left side of your face."

My eyes went wide. Why didn't I pay more attention when Caz talked about makeup? My hand flew to the bruise, and I winced as my fingers carefully danced over it.
I sighed loudly and looked back up to Liam. "My Father happened."

I explain right from the bar fight to my drive here to work. His eyes pierced mine as he absorbed each bit of the story intently. Listening quietly and patiently as I would pause, the memory proving too painful to bare think about. After I was finished I looked away and wiped furiously at my tears. I hated crying, crying was a sign of weakness and being in a job like this crying was not acceptable...well that was my veiw anyway.