Chapter Sixty Three

"That can't be true," I argued, sure Alpha Kai must have heard me wrongly. "She's been here for a couple of months now. Her name is Rochelle,"

"Listen to me, Kayla, I did not send anyone to your pack. Yes, Matthew asked me to find him an assistant but he didn't follow up with the phone call afterwards because like I said, I've been busy. So, I didn't follow up with his request either," Alpha Kai explained and my phone nearly fell out of my hands as my fingers went limp.

"Then, who's in my house?" I turned around suddenly, feeling watched as sweat eroded away at my skin.

"I don't know," he stated. "But whoever it is wasn't sent by me,"

I rushed out of my bedroom, music vibrating through the house from outside. I ran to my father and Jane's room but they weren't there. No one was there and the window was left wide open.

"Are you there, Mikayla?" Alpha Kai asked through the phone, his steady voice hitched ever so slightly.

"Yes, I'll call you back soon," I disconnected before he had the chance to say anything else. It was rushed as I tucked my phone into my pocket and tried to get out of the room.

Mer met me at the door.

"Mer," I grabbed her suddenly, pulling her towards me but there was something with her eyes. Her pupils seemed unusually dilated. "There's something I have to tell you. I think I was right about Rochelle, she-"

Mer crashed against me instantly. I gasped, taken aback as her weight pooled on top of me before she slid down to the floor. I rushed to her side but her eyes were shut. I panicked, not knowing what to do for a split second and then, I shook her, urging her to wake up. She didn't respond.

"Mer, what's wrong? Mer?" I shook her violently, screaming against her. Then I slapped her. Still, there was no response.

When I checked her pulse, it was there but it was fast, really fast.

With all the strength I had, I managed to pull her up to Jane's bed and set her there.

"I'll be back Mer, I'll get you help," I said before I rushed out. When I got to the staircase, I held back a scream. What's going on? Every single person that I saw was lying down unconscious in my home. From the front room to the kitchen, everyone was unconscious.

I rushed to a couple of them to check their pulses and it was just like Mer's. That was when my eyes and brain finally worked in sink.

Brownies. Punch. Poison. Rochelle.

I didn't have the brownies or the punch because Alpha Kai called me at the time. All I had was tonic water that's why I'm fine and everyone else isn't.

My mind raced to Jane and my father and then to Matthew. Matthew. I had to find Matthew. I needed to find Matthew, Jane and my dad. I stood up and willed Rae to track Matthew's scent. He was my mate. Despite us closing off our emotions to each other, I could still summon it if I wanted to and right now, I want nothing more than to smell Matthew because I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I rushed out of my house and into the yard, passing bodies upon Bodies in the yard, I am mortified. It looked like every single person in my pack was dead. They all laid around scattered everywhere like leaves from an autumn's tree. I didn't know what to do as I looked around and felt my heartbreak.

How did this happen? How did Matthew let this happen? How did I let this happen?

Then, I smelt Matthew. My emotions boiled like a pot as his connection was opened and he urged me to help him. He didn't link it but I felt it and my heart sunk endlessly. I forced my feet to run, the moon shining gloriously above me as I sprinted into the woods. I passed tree upon tree, feeling Matthew's essence more strongly yet at the same time more weakly by the second. It felt like he was slipping away but yet, he was trying his hardest to hold on and I urged him to not give up.