Chapter Five

I don't look back at Carter as my eyes remain transfixed on Logan. Logan looks at me, his gaze dragging up and down my body several times before he strides casually into my bedroom.

"Carter, leave me with my sister." Logan says, his voice as firm and indifferent as I remember but still a little different. I can sense a bit of edginess in the way he speaks.

Carter's weight shifts off my bed as he stands and I turn to see him get up. He nods at Logan in a way that is undoubtedly to show respect to him, his Alpha and the pit within my stomach deepens.

He doesn't deserve to be Alpha.

Carter walks out of the room and I look back to Logan, narrowing my eyes at him, anger seeping into my weary veins. It's his fault I ended up with Jayce. He sold me to him for men! I'll never forgive him.

"What do you want?" I blurt out, my words bleeding malice as I ball my fists.

"Mikayla." Logan breathes out and I can feel the pity that's wrapping around the way he calls my name. For some reason, it makes me feel worse than I already do and I can't decide if I want to stare him down or break out in tears.

"Go away." I manage to say through clenched teeth.

Logan only sighs, his bottom lip now twitching.

"I'm sorry." He says softly, his voice low as he ducks his head down in what I can only describe as repentance and for some reason, it only makes everything worse.

It would be so much easier to hold on to this hate if he doesn't repent. If he just remains the unapologetic Logan I grew up with. The one that would poke me, pull my hair, tell me hurtful words because Logan has a way of capitalising on people's weaknesses with his words. He never apologised then so I don't want him to apologise now.

I stand up quickly, too quickly for me to handle and the impact hits my barely healed ribs squarely. I bite my tongue to hold back a wince but from the way my face contorts, I know I can't fool my half-brother especially considering he rushes to my side in an instant.

Logan sets his hands on my arms in worry and I can't help but flinch, his hands on me in the particular position so very suggestive and taking me back to that very night with Jayce. I close my eyes in panic. Then as if I am possessed, I slam my hands against his chest and in a move so sudden, I shove him backwards yelling "Don't touch me!"

When I open my eyes, Logan is as shocked as I am and despite the fact that he didn't move too far away from me, the small distance that I managed to force between us by my impulsive shove is surprising and somewhat impressive. My brother has always been very strong and now that he's an Alpha, it's amplified.

I take a lofty breathe, trying to calm myself as I feel my ribs burn once more. I ignore it.

"Alright." Logan quips, lifting his both hands up "Just calm down Mikayla."

"Calm down?" I repeat incredulously "Look at me Logan! Just take a very good look at me! You did this to me! We can blame Jayce all we want because technically, yes he was the one who physically assaulted me but Logan, if you didn't sell me to the guy then he wouldn't have gotten the chance to hurt me in the first place!"

Logan looks at me, his gaze dragging down my body for what feels like the hundredth time today and then he tightens his jaw. He pushes his fingers through his blonde hair harshly, a nervous habit he has had since we were kids.

"He was your mate Mikayla!" He defends, fingers still laced in his blonde hair and then he lets go, forcing his hair to fall over his eyes as he lets out a breath "How was I supposed to know that he would do this to you?"