Chapter Forty Four

Warning: this chapter contains elements of violence.

***

I stare at Vicky, her grey eyes looking wild. They look like they are ready to strike me at any moment. I clutch to the the door frame, feeling lightheaded as my skin begins to heat up intensely.

“Leave her alone!” Mer yells, her shrill voice coming out more as a plea really. “She isn't in the right condition to deal with all the darkness attached to you, Victoria!”

“I don't care!” Vicky screams out, her voice echoing more powerfully than I ever thought was possible from her as her hands go on Mer’s shoulders and shoves her to the ground. Mer lands with a hard thud, her elbow scraping harshly. Mer lets out a gruff sound when Vicky’s pitch black wolf eyes meet mine.

“This bitch ruined my life! Now, I'll ruin hers!” Vicky screams, darting towards me until she stands right before me, roughly pulling me by the arm away from the door until I’m next to her in the middle of the small clearing in my yard. My eyes burn, the light too bright for me to handle. My legs shake, their lack of strength becoming more apparent as I am forced to stand on grass that tickles my feet and look at a girl I want anything but to see right now.

“Vicky, leave me alone,” I say weakly, my eyes fixated on the ground as I'm hunched over and starting to clutch to my stomach which has started to do its own little twirls inside me.

“No!” She screams and the next thing I feel is a hard shove to my shoulder that sends my body moving backwards. Somehow, I manage to catch myself before I fall to the ground but I still feel her pull at my arm to pull me up to her until our eyes are forced to meet. Her teeth are gritted while every part of me begins to severely ache. Her eyes are still pitch black with hatred when I stare into them. “All you’ve ever done is play with my life! Ruin it! And now I want you to pay!”

“Is this because of Mason?” I ask calmly, knowing fully well that it is.

Her hands quake violently against my arms. If she were a male, I’d fear that she’d crush me. Despite that, pain still radiates through me from my arm. It feels like I’m getting weaker by the moment as everything starts to become heavy.

“And Benjamin! So you couldn’t stop at screwing my boyfriend and taking him away from me, you had to kill my mate too?” Her descended canines look like they’re just a moment away from burrowing themselves into my neck. “Always the stumbling block in my life, now aren’t you, Kayla?”

Anger starts to stir inside me despite knowing that yes, in a way, I do deserve it. My judgement begins to become impaired as the pain in my stomach begins to truly amplify. I groan, not having time for Vicky or the guilt I hold in my conscience towards her. I feel bad for her but right now, in my state, my haywire emotions can’t register empathy.

“Leave me alone,” I say, unsuccessfully trying to push her away from me but she relents while my skin truly starts to burn. Her hands on me causes me to be set on fire with blatant discomfort.

“Did you leave Mason alone?” She echoes, shaking me. “Did you let your damned lover, Matthew leave Benjamin, my mate alone?”

“I didn’t mean you any harm on purpose, Victoria!” I scream weakly as the back of my eyes start their own stabbing in me. Tears start to pool around my eyes and I don’t understand why. “It’s not like I just got up one day and decided to pick out Victoria and ruin her life! No, Vicky! It’s not like that!”

“Then what is it like?” She shoves me hard and this time, I land against the grass painfully. I scream, feeling my shoulder hit a rock and my hip land wrongly. Blood oozes down the side of my arm when I notice that people have actually gathered, all of them just watching on the sidelines, not getting involved. I don’t see Mer though.