Chapter Fifty Six

"You know when I told you that you and Matthew needed to talk, I meant a conversation," Enzo gasps, unable to take his eyes off me when his eyebrows knit together. "By the gracious moon, a conversation and making love are two very different things,"

I only pay attention to my breakfast as I ignore Enzo's glare. His curly hair shakes, obviously trying to comprehend my line of reasoning.

"I only did that so he would leave me alone, Enzo!" I insist, "And voila!" I make an exaggerated hand gesture, "It worked!"

He shakes his head then looks around the table to make sure that no one is paying attention to us. No one seems to be.

"Small and middle pack girls don't just sleep with people they hate and drop them like nothing happened, Mikayla," he pauses, his voice lowers as he ensures that no one is eavesdropping although I think they all are but I don't care. "Especially mates. Intercourse means alot to most of you,"

"It used to mean alot to me too but now I don't care," I insist.

"Keep telling yourself that and maybe one day you'll believe it,"

I brush him off, not wanting to listen to him anymore as I focus on my food.

My next month is peaceful. I feel Matthew's emotions less now except when it's more intense than normal which isn't as often as prior. I think he shut off a small part of our link. It bothers me but I can't understand why. Despite that, overall, I am more at ease.

Until I receive a letter...

Dearest Kayla,

              You know that I wouldn't reach out to you or else it was important. Jane, Logan's mother got worse. Mahsa said we should expect the worst and hope for the best. I really think that you need to know because you have affection for her.

With Love,
Mercela.

I read the letter several times, simply confused. Jane is dying? My eyebrows scrunch together in a complete lack of understanding as I knit my hands through my hair and let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. When Enzo comes into his study, I am pacing around.

"My step-mom is dying," I announce to him and he stops and stares at me with wide eyes. "I need to see her,"

Enzo doesn't respond but his eyes watch me. He quietly nods.

I pack my things haphazardly, unsure why I am in such a haste. If Jane dies without us getting to meet at least one last time, I'll never forgive myself. When my bag is packed, I contemplate several things. Enzo doesn't utter a word.

"What if it's a trap and Matthew is just using her to lure me there?" I think aloud, setting my hands on my hips. "What if he wants to lock me up and make sure I'll never leave him?"

Enzo doesn't say anything and I stare at him wanting some sort of emotion from him. He doesn't offer anything.

"Should I go, Enzo?" I finally ask.

"It's your decision, Kayla, not mine,"

"But what if going there is a huge mistake?" I blurt out at I stare down at my packed bag.

"And what if it isn't?"

I think on his words and then nod before picking up my bag. When I hug him, he stiffens but holds me after a couple of seconds with no response.

The DarkNess Within Him | ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें