Chapter Forty One

"Stretch out your left palm, Alpha Mikayla," Esmeralda commands, her voice being softer than I'm used to from her.

I look at Matthew on my left side before reluctantly stretching out my hand. He's squeezing the contents of the blood oozing out of his slit palm into the bowl of mystical moving water which Esmeralda has prepared.

It shines beneath the moon which seems distinctively intense today considering it isn't even full. I look around, noticing everyone that's gathered around to watch the mate bond marriage take place. My father and Mer are in the front row and he looks particularly grim about this. Then again, he wasn't exactly in support of this. No one from Matthew's family came and I feel sad about that. He said they're busy but I prefer to assume that he didn't even tell them. I sense bad blood between him and his family because that's the main thing he just never talks about. Something I've learnt not to even ask about to avoid having a long period of silence that will follow after my question.

Esmeralda calls my name again and I look at her. Her white eyes aren't glowing as brightly as they used to and her white hair seems to be dulling down to a shiney grey instead. I was told that it's a consequence of her preparation to transfer her power as the moon priestess and chief witch to someone else. The transfer will be complete soon and then I'll meet her replacement. I'm quite curious about who she might be.

Esmeralda takes my left hand in hers and then with one clean swipe of the metallic blade, she slits my palm right across. The blood flows out instantly and I extend my palm to squeeze the blood into the bowl. It stings intensely but I just grit my teeth and ignore the pain.

Esmeralda begins to chant several incantations in a language I can't comprehend until her eyes begin to glow brightly. When I look down at the bowl, the contents of the mixture between the blood and water seems to be moving. The moon suddenly seems much more conspicuous.

I initially thought that one of the requirements for this marriage was the full moon but Esmeralda said that it wasn't necessary and could be conducted regardless. So here I am one week later, getting married.

After several long moments of Esmeralda chanting, she instructs us to set our slit palms on the stone hedge before us. She lifts the bowl off the stone hedge at the same time both of us obey her instructions. I still feel the twinge of hurt pulsating through my hand due to the cut but I force myself not to flinch.

We set our palms right next to each other, his thumb brushing ever so slightly against the side of my palm and I smile.

Esmeralda gives us a stern look which only serves to indicate that she's about to initiate the final part of this uncomfortable marriage ritual. As if on cue, she picks up the bowl and pours the contents into the bleeding palms of Matthew and myself. I scream, feeling the searing pain pierce through every fibre that my hand has to offer. Matthew screams too but his scream comes out more muffled than mine, more controlled.

My eyes change colour, as does his and then, our palms meet. It's a quick process that feels like it lasts forever. Every single second stretches longer than it's meant to and the pain drills into me like a hammer. Again and again, like fire consuming my being ferociously and with an intense vengeance. I can't help when I scream harder and quiver, the tingling sensation rupturing the layers of my skin.

Matthew only shakes against me, his black eyes sealed shut while his jaw clenches with effort I can only describe as painful.

And then, it's like we are doused by ice. The pain simply vanishes, only to leave me with a sensation that I can only describe as 'complete'. It's like happiness has made my veins its home. My once hurt palm bursts alive with joy, the pain completely gone. I squeeze Matthew's hand lightly and I feel the action in the pit of my stomach conspicuously.