Chapter Sixty One

It was as if the room became still with a new emotion. My heels were planted to the floor as I stared at Jane, watching her dry, parched lips try to say my father's name.

Her eyes were open, the dark blue hue swirling in the midst of her reddened eyeballs. I was stilled into myself. What's happening?

It wasn't until my father moved past me to get to his mate that I came back to my senses. His wheelchair found her side and I took a step back instinctively. My father was holding Jane's hand with all his might and I watched them, still in shock that Jane is finally awake.

"Janey, are you really awake?" He asked softly, his head went to her side as if he was about to burst into tears and Jane nodded, her movements were slow and robotic. Slowly, very slowly, her slims fingers found my father's hair. "Thank the moon," my father breathed into her.

When he raised his head, there were tears streaming down the side of his cheeks. Jane also had tears in her eyes.

"I can't believe you came back to me," his voice cracked in between. His words and his tone was unstable, his raw emotions pushing through.

Jane opened her mouth to speak but no words came out while my father basically held her for dear life. I looked at the pair, not knowing what else to do. If anyone ever argued that the mate bond was a hoax, I would show them my father and Jane. Despite everything he's put her through, this woman deeply loves my father. I can see the bond humming between them as he holds her and her fingers hold strands of his hair.

When she looks up at me, I'm still unable to speak. So is she because her eyes hold mine in a way that I just can't express. It's soft, yet filled with heavy emotion. It feels like she wants to say a lot to me but can't find any words to say all that she wants to or maybe, she is just too tired to speak considering she just snapped out of her shocked state after almost two years.

"Do you feel fine, Jane?" I asked as I forced myself to say something. It was hard but she managed to nod.

When Ava opened the door with a tray of tea in her hands, it fell to the floor. She screamed loudly, shocked to find Jane awake. Soon, everyone that needed to be here was here; the doctor, Mer, Matthew and Rochelle although I couldn't understand what her business was here but I decided not to focus on her.

The doctor checked Jane's vitals, noting that her recovery was miraculous and she was in incredible shape for someone who was unresponsive due to shock for such a long time. He also said that she wasn't perfectly fine yet and would take some more time to be able to function normally and do basic tasks like speaking and walking as efficiently as before.

Everyone stared at Jane in awe - except Matthew of course who looked on with his ever-present disinterest that irked every bone present in my body. My father held the hand of his mate, afraid to let it go. When the doctor finished examining Jane, he asked all of us except my father to leave the room, explaining that having so many people here might overwhelm Jane.

All of us agreed, leaving as requested by the doctor.

When I closed the door behind me, Mer was beaming happily at Jane's sudden recovery and Rochelle held her arm in a show of support. We all went down the stairs.

"How did she wake up, Kayla?" Mer asked me and all eyes turned towards me, even Matthew's whose eyes on me had the pits of my belly in shambles as usual.

This cursed bond.

I shrugged. "Honestly, I don't know. My father and I were speaking and when we turned around, she was just staring at us. It was so sudden that neither of us knew what to do,"