Chapter Thirty-Six

My heartbeat sounded loud in my ears, sweat dripping down my brow as I pretended to read a book. Anthony and William left over an hour ago, and I was surprised that I hadn't fainted from how nervous I felt, being all alone. Where the heck was this person, and why were they taking so long to get here?

I huffed and sat my book aside, rubbing at my temples as I stood up and walked over to the windows, staring out at the darkening sky. I wrapped my arms across my chest and rubbed at my arms wishing for this all to be over so that I could go back to my normal life with William and Anthony. Well...not really normal considering we were three men laying with one another, but you get the point. I hated all this sneaking around or worrying whether or not I would live to see another day...I was tired of it, so very tired and I wanted this to hurry up and happen already. I mean, sweet Mary it had already been an hour since the men left, and yet the room was still as silent as the grave.

I subtly peeked over to the bookshelf by the fireplace. How were they handling being in such a small place for so long? Surely they were uncomfortable by now.

I looked away and leaned on the table, nibbling at my bottom lip, pulling my hair over my shoulder before I picked up a scone Thomas had tested and dropped off, taking small bites as I let my eyes graze over the grounds below, attempting to see if there was someone sneaking around. But of course, I didn't see anyone. Not that I would, considering it was getting harder to see outside. Still didn't hurt to try, though.

My heart did a painful flip when I heard the door behind me creek, the fear rising within me as I gulped and remained where I was standing. Oh sweet Mary, they're here, I thought to myself, panicking as I continued this act of nonchalance. My body began shaking when I heard a step behind me, my heart rushing a mile a minute as I felt their body heat behind me, the assailant standing so close to me that I could literally feel their breath on the back of my neck. Why wasn't William and Marvin jumping out now? Surely this would be the time, right, I wondered to myself, too scared to turn around.

"I truly am sorry for this," my assassin spoke, and I jumped when I heard a grunt and something heavy hitting the floor, the sound causing me to whip around to see Marvin pinning down a dark skinned young man, who was struggling to get out of my brother's hold. "Y-You do not understand! I have to do this! My love demands this of me!" The man whined, throwing his leg up and kicking my bother right off of him.

Luckily, his freedom wasn't for long, for William ran in behind him and grabbed him against his chest. "Anderson what is the meaning of this?" William demanded, grunting as the man struggled against him. "Why are you trying to kill Melani?"

I looked over to Anthony as he approached me, gently grabbing my arm as those teal eyes stared down at me. "Follow me, Melani."

I shook my head and gently took my arm out of his grasp, still feeling scared as I instead approached this...Anderson person, the man stopping in his actions to meet my gaze. William shot me a look, silently telling me to get away and go to Anthony, however...for some reason...despite this growing ball of fear filling me as I stared at the man who tried to kill me, I felt...confident in staring him down, the questions whirling in my head as I stopped in front of him, a frown on my face.

"Why?" I asked him simply, hugging myself tightly as Anderson turned his attention away from me. And could it really be? Did I just see guilt swimming in those dark eyes of his? Or had I been imagining it? "Why do all this to kill me? D-Do you hold a grudge against me, or something?"

Anderson snorted, and winced when William tightened his grip and sent him a glare. Marvin then stalked over to him and began putting his hands in chains, sending angry looks towards the other man. "I don't want to kill you. I have to. For my love."