Chapter Nine

I'm not quite sure why, but that night I found myself standing in front of William's door, my hand raised as I bit at my bottom lip, my nerves all but jumping all over the place. I guess I wanted to tell him that I had a good time...but of course I chickened out at the last moment. I sighed, my hand dropping to my side as I turned and made a move to go back to my room, only to pause when I heard William's voice, muffled slightly by the door. Curiosity filling me, I looked around the empty hallway and gently placed my ear against the door. I know, I know, it was an invasion of privacy, but since Anthony wasn't standing at my side guarding me, I could only assume that this was where he was at. It felt wrong to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help it as I heard William speak again, this time being able to make out what he said.

"I'm worried," he was saying, his voice a bit on the quiet side, "I'm to be married in a week, and yet...I'm having doubts."

I tried not to acknowledge the sad, sinking feeling in my gut.

"Doubt about the marriage? Or..." Anthony's voice sounded, and even know I figured he was there, by actually confirming it, I had a nagging sense of jealousy form within me.

I heard a shuffling sound, as if someone was moving. Finally, after a moment of hesitation, William spoke. "It's not that. I just...Melani is unlike any noble woman I have ever met. She deserves a man who can please her in ways I will never be able to. I don't want her to have an unhappy, inadequate marriage because of my sexual preferences. I just don't feel like that's right for her."

"So what do you suggest?" Anthony wondered.

"I...a while back, I suggested a side lover for Melani. Of course she was embarrassed about it, but..." He went silent for a moment. "The fact of the matter is, I-I was wondering if, once the situation arises, you take up the role of satisfying her."

My cheeks burned and I gulped, embarrassed beyond belief as perverse images flooded my mind. I shook those thoughts away, though they kept persisting. Anthony and I? I-In that way? How in the world was a girl to comprehend that? Especially when said man is the lover of her soon-to-be husband? Tangled in a dance of love...ok, I needed to stop such perverse thoughts. Mother never raised me to be a pervert.

I guess Anthony was in shock too, for he was as silent as the grave. When he finally spoke, his voice was hesitant. "William...I-I don't know..."

"Out of everyone in this dreadful world, Anthony...it is you I put my entire faith and trust in. You are the only one I trust to take care of Melani. Besides, y-you have experience with women in ways that I do not, a-and I know you will take care of her."

"...Ok. I'll do it. But William? What if an heir is born and the child resembles the guard that was supposed to be protecting Lady Melani? People will start asking questions. Your father especially."

"I've already thought about that. I-I will be the one to...for lack of better words, take her first. Once she is confirmed pregnant, and an heir is born..."

"I see. But William, do remember that Lady Melani isn't an object to be traded off. She is an intelligent woman, surely it would upset her."

"I know. And I do not see her as an object. I just want her to be happy, and I cannot make her happy in the bedroom."

Anthony sighed, and it was silent for a moment before I began to hear a moaning sound. My cheeks turned bright pink at the sound, and I decided that it was probably best if I leave them to their privacy. On my way back to my room, my mind couldn't help but dive back to what I had heard. I didn't even really know what to think, honestly. I was an awkward mess around those of the male type, and yet, William, my soon-to-be husband, suggested that his lover, who is also my body guard...lay with me after I provided my husband an heir. My face darkened. And Anthony agreed.