Buildup

Katie Bell was still in the Hospital Wing. Meaning she couldn't play Quidditch. No one could ask her who gave her the necklace. But it was nice that Ron had made the team. The game was today, and I was excited to see him play. No one knew about how Ron made the team. I knew both sides of the story. Harry had pretended to mix his "liquid luck" potion into Ron's drink before the game, making him think that he would do well. Of course, he hadn't actually put it in, but Harry only told me and Hermione. On the other hand, when Hermione saw that Cormac was doing slightly better than him in the tryouts, she confounded him. This was something Hermione only told me.

Nonetheless, Ron deserved it. I sat in the bleachers with Jack. He got a lot of dirty looks by the other Slytherins, but I told him to ignore them. The game was hard to see through all the snow. It seemed to look like Gryffindor was winning. And they did.

The next morning, after the game, I went to go sit on the Gryffindor table. There was a certain tension I couldn't quite place. Hermione looked down at the newspaper, Harry ate his food in silence. "Where's Ron?" Hermione looked up, daggers shooting out of her eyes. Harry looked and slightly shook his head like saying not now. Jack nudged his foot with mine and gave me a look: I'll tell you later.

I heard a chuckle and saw two people enter the Great Hall. I saw Ron come in hand in hand with Lavender Brown. He sat down at the table with her. She clung on to his arm the whole time, booping his nose and feeding him his food. So, Ron and Lavender were a thing? Hmm. I didn't hate Lavender. She was nice. She had been a part of Dumbledore's Army. She had helped Harry. She brought Trelawney flowers when she had been sacked of her job. She was just a little clingy.

The days turned to weeks. Harry was still wondering how to get a specific memory out of Slughorn. Ron and Lavender were always seen to be glued by the lips. Hermione was left out. Jack and I started getting closer due to the large amount of time we had started spending together.

Draco was once again missing in action. I wanted to forget about him, but something pulled me back. Every time I saw him rugged, weak, sleep deprived and tired, my heart panged. I wanted to comfort him, to help him get better. But I couldn't do that unless he told me what was wrong.

As we delved deeper into winter, Slughorn had a Holiday Party coming up. Harry, Hermione, Jack, and I were once again in the library studying. Ron was somewhere else, probably tongue tied with Lavender. People were chattering all around us about the party.

Hermione leaned in, "Harry, do you see that girl over there?" She pointed towards a pretty girl in curly black hair on the opposite table. "She's Romilda Vain and she fancies you. Some people are saying she's even baking love potion-filled muffins for you." Harry started staring and she looked up, smiled, and looked back down. Hermione snapped, trying to grab his attention, "Hey! She's only in to you because she thinks you're the chosen one." Harry smiled goofily, "But I am the chosen one." Hermione hit him playfully across the head. "Okay okay, I'll ask Luna or something." "Hermione, who are you going with?" I asked. She huffed. "I have someone in mind."

"Um Y/N, would you mind helping me find some books?" Jack asked. "Sure." We got up, I grabbed a bag and I followed him across the Library. He stopped in one of the aisles about Dark Magic. "Seems a little dark for your taste." I said looking at the books and setting the bag down. "Actually, I needed to ask you something." He turned to me. "Would you like to...go to the Holiday Party with me." He looked down at his feet. "Of course, Jack!" I exclaimed. He smiled, then reached in his pocket. "I also saw this at a store, and thought you'd like it." He pulled out a small necklace with a flower charm on it. It was simple and elegant. "Oh, that's beautiful." I took it from his hands. My hand instinctively went up to my neck, touching the necklace that Draco had given me. I hesitated. Jack realized this and quickly stuttered, "Oh you don't have to wear it if you don't want to its fine."

"Oh no no. Um, Draco and I are no longer on speaking terms." I took off the emerald necklace.

I felt weird, as if a burden had been lifted off of me. Light and happiness flowed down me.

I put the emerald necklace in my pocket and let Jack put on the flower one. The flower necklace was light, unlike the emerald one. I turned around to see Jack smiling. "You look really nice in it."

I linked my arm with him, and we walked back to table. "Oh, shoot I forgot my bag in the aisle, I'll be right back." I walked back to the aisle and saw my bag where I had left it. I picked it up and turned around. A figure blocked my path.

"Why aren't you wearing the necklace?" He said.