Ferrets and First Task

Over the past month, school had been pretty average. Alethea had pretty much ditched me for Malfoy. Although, Malfoy now looked annoyed whenever Alethea was around. Speaking of Malfoy, he teased me here and there, but was tolerable. On the other hand, Levin and I became really good friends. The first task was coming up fast. No one told me what it was going to be about, but I had heard that Hermione was helping Harry with a strategy. Cedric also had a plan.

I was in the courtyard with Levin one afternoon. Harry looked mad coming out of the school. He and Ron were not on good terms. "Why so tense, Pottah?" I heard a voice. "My father and I have a bet you see. I don't think you're gonna last 10 minutes." Malfoy jumped down from a tree, his cronies beside him. "He disagrees, he thinks you won't last 5." He laughed. "I don't give a damn about what your father thinks!" Harry shouted. I walked closer to them. "He's vile and you're just pathetic!" Malfoy stumbled back and tried to grab his wand.

Next thing I knew, instead of Draco Malfoy, stood a white ferret. Professor Moody held his wand towards him, making him bounce up and down. "Professor, stop!" I blurted out. Harry looked to me. "Why are you defending him?" Harry looked to me. I scooped down and picked up the ferret. "Because I'm not cruel." I said. Professor McGonagall came into the courtyard. I walked up to her. "Can you please turn him back?" I asked. She looked startled and asked, "Is-is that a student?" I nodded. I placed him down. Professor McGonagall pointed her wand and the ferret transformed. Draco stood, except, he...wasn't wearing anything (This was supposed to happen in the movies, but then they decided against it).

Before anyone could catch a proper glimpse, a blurred shield was placed all over him by McGonagall. "Ooh my dear." She said shaking her head. A bunch of the bystanders laughed, imagining Malfoy completely vulnerable behind the shield. "You guys are no better than he is." I shook my head, taking off my robe. I threw it over the shield. "Okay, I'm covered." And the shield was removed. Malfoy wrapped the robe around him tightly looking at the floor, embarrassed. McGonagall looked to me. "It would be wise if you took him to get some proper clothes. I nodded and put my arm around him. "Hey, hey it's fine." I whispered leading him inside. I heard sniggering behind me, but I ignored them.

We were about to go through a busy corridor when Malfoy hesitated. It was embarrassing for him. "Here, I know a secret passage." I reassured him. I went through one of the passages Fred and George had shown me. I led him inside the common room. He looked to me, "Thanks...a lot." I smiled, "Yeah of course." "I'll give this to you later?" He looked at my robe. I nodded. "Yeah no worries." He gave a genuine smile and made his way up the boys dorm.

-----------------------Day of the First Task-----------------------

I walked to the area where the first task was held. I stood in the stands next to Levin. Expensive cologne wafted over me and I saw Malfoy stand to the right of me. I raised an eyebrow, "Where's Alethea." I asked. He smirked leaning in, "Somewhere in the Great Hall, looking for me." I shook my head, smiling, and focused on the arena. Got what she deserved. Cedric, Krum, and Fleur all went. The dragons were merciless. But they all passed. Harry came out. I held my breath.

He dodged and ducked beneath the rocks. The dragon blew fire. I gasped, grabbing Malfoy's hand on instinct. He gave it a reassuring squeeze as I watched Harry. Harry summoned his broom and zoomed off. The dragon broke free of his constraints and flew after him. "Oh no!" I almost shouted. "Hey, it's fine." Levin smiled. Harry came back and grabbed the egg. I cheered along the rest of the crowd. Malfoy rolled his eyes and left. Levin put an arm around me, and we walked back to the castle.

Harry suddenly came behind me. "C'mon, I'll sneak you in the Gryffindor common room." My eyes lightened. I said goodbye to Levin and followed Harry. Inside, everyone was partying hard. Fred and George put Harry on their shoulders. Harry took in all the attention. "Should I open it?!" Everyone cheered. He opened the egg and out came a horrible sound. Everyone was confused, but they shrugged it off and continued to party. Even Ron and Harry made up. "Boys." Hermione muttered to me. I rolled my eyes, smiling.