𝐓𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER TEN | A PRAYER FOR THE DYING

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

CAROLINE'S MOM HAD CANCER AND IT CAME AS A SHOCK TO EVERYONE. Caroline, being Caroline, was determined to find a way around it by any means possible. She, Stefan and, Klara all took a trip to Duke. Stefan and Klara observing Stefan's niece and only living, relative Sarah, while Caroline's intentions were to speak with the top researchers on brain tumors. 

Despite not getting the answers she wanted, Caroline met a patient, Colin, that was in exactly the same position as her Mom— expect he had no next to kin. The vampire fed him her food and watched his condition miraculously improve, as she suspected it would, and then set off home to feed her Mom her blood to cure her of cancer.

"Hey," Stefan spoke as he and Klara rushed inside Caroline's house. They saw the blonde sat on an armchair, while Colin was asleep on the couch.

The Forbes girl rose to her feet upon the arrival of the two vampires and spoke in a hushed tone of voice. "My Mom's still sleeping, don't wake her up." 

Klara's eyes drifted to Colin who still remained asleep. "What happened to him?"

"I don't know. He was fine when we left him at Duke, remember? He was running around and pain-free and scarfing down all that disgusting vending machine food." Caroline explained with a panicked look on her face.

"Yeah, well, clearly he's not fine now." Stefan sighed. "Wait, I thought you compelled him to forget everything after you fed him your blood? How did he find you?"

"I don't know."

Stefan bent down to examine the state of Colin, all while Klara's eyes were drawn to the blood that was all over his red hoodie. "What if that blood isn't his? What if he's a—"

"Is there any chance your Mom signed the house over to you?" Stefan raised an eyebrow toward Caroline, who stood silently.

"I don't know, maybe. She's been running around like crazy saying she needs to get her ducks in a row."

Klara hummed softly and then made her way over to the curtains. Her hand clasped around one as she gently pulled it back and let the sunlight fall onto Colin, and as it did, his skin began to burn. "He's a vampire, Caroline."

Stefan nodded in agreement with his girlfriend before he turned to Caroline. "Which means after you fed him your blood—"

"—He died."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Stefan and Klara had brought Colin to Whitmore Medical, where Jo could assess the situation. Damon had also been called, though he was unaware of the extent of the problem.