𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER ELEVEN | THE LIES WILL CATCH UP TO YOU

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

KLARA LAID IN BED WITH HER EYES FIXED TO THE CEILING ABOVE HER. Since Stefan had headed out the previous night to speak with Bonnie, she hadn't heard from him since. When she woke up the next morning, he wasn't beside her so she assumed that his conversation with Bonnie went awry. So, she grabbed her phone from the nightstand and attempted to call Bennett girl, who hadn't returned any of her calls since Enzo died.

All Klara was met with, was Bonnie's voicemail greeting— which she half expected. "Hey, Bon. It's me. I know that Stefan wanted to come over and speak to you last night. I just— I guess I wanted to know how that went. Look, I really miss you, and I'd love to hear the sound of your voice. But, I completely understand why you stopped answering. If you need some time, space whatever, I'm here for you. I love you."

"Still nothing?" Caroline asked with a raised eyebrow as she appeared in Klara's doorway. The blonde vampire sat upright as Caroline stepped into the bedroom.

"Absolutely nothing." Klara sighed heavily. "I haven't heard from Stefan, either. I just— I don't think I've ever felt this helpless in my entire life."

"Look, she just needs time, Klara. You'd feel the same if you were in her position, right? If you lost Stefan?" Klara nodded slowly as Caroline took a breath. "She knows that you wanna be there for her. And, she'll reach out when the times right for her."

Caroline crawled into bed beside Klara as the blonde vampire rested her head against her best friend's shoulder. "God. I didn't realize how badly I needed a hug until now."

"Well, what are best friends for, huh?" Caroline chuckled softly as she wrapped her arm around Klara's shoulder. "So, what're your plans for today?"

"Uh, wallow in my unending misery?" Klara sarcastically answered.

"Hilarious." The Forbes vampire scoffed. "But, I'm serious. We should have a pamper day or something. I know you're struggling just as much as anyone else."

A satisfactory gasp escaped Klara's lips, but before she could answer Caroline's request on a nice, normal day, her phone started to buzz on the nightstand. At first, she thought it was Stefan, but then she read the Caller ID and it was Matt. "Something I can do for you, Sheriff?"

"Klara, I need your help. I received three calls this morning from Mystic Falls residents wanting to report old crimes: Disappearances, cold-cases, all involving Stefan." Matt explained. "One of them even wondered if he was a vampire."

"What?" Caroline gasped from beside Klara, indicating that she was listening to the call.

"I'm bringing them into the station and keep them in separate rooms, trying to keep everyone quiet for now."