𝐓𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER TEN | THE DEVIL INSIDE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

KATHERINE PIERCE WAS DEAD. Elena had given her one final shot at redemption, and the woman's heart stopped during their conversation. Klara couldn't get to grips with the atmosphere since Katherine's demise. On the one hand, of course they were glad that she was gone. She ruined all of their lives. But on the other, Stefan was right and Katherine was just a girl that had to endure five-hundred years on the run through no fault of her own.

Once Damon had disposed of Katherine's body, as he put it so elegantly, Klara and Caroline headed back to Whitmore. She noticed that Caroline had been acting strange ever since she returned back from trying to find Matt, but she couldn't put her finger on what exactly the problem was.

"Uh—" Klara wandered in their dorm room to see Caroline on her hands and knees scrubbing at the fireplace. "Did I just see that right? Were you just cleaning the fireplace?"

"Yeah." Caroline awkwardly glanced back at the fireplace and then turned to the blonde once more with a smile. "Well, you know, all those carcinogens."

Klara took a seat on her bed as she held her to-go coffee cup in hand. She noticed that the entire dorm was relatively tidy, compared to the state they had left it in. "Okay. What's wrong? Why does this entire room look clean as hell."

"Am I wrong for wanting to live in a nice, tidy environment?" The Forbes girl immediately defended herself with her arms crossed over her chest.

"No, but—" Klara started, but Caroline interrupted again.

"But, nothing, okay?! I wanted to do something nice and clean the room, but here you are giving me the third-degree. And, before you ask, no, I am not stressed about anything. No, I am not sublimating anything. I just wanted to clean, okay?" 

"You know, I wasn't gonna push any further but that whole speech just convinced me with how not okay you are." Klara gave her friend a smile as she pulled her ringing phone from her pocket. "—But I'm gonna let it slide this once because Stefan's calling." The blonde then answered her boyfriend's call. "Stef."

"Klara. I need a favour." As Stefan spoke, a small sigh left the blonde's lips. "You know how Damon was trying to be all noble and broke up with Elena." 

"How could I forget. Caroline was trying to get me drunk at nine in the morning." The Adams' vampire then glared at Caroline who gave her a smile before she turned her attention back to cleaning.

"Oh, like you need much convincing. Well, I kind of convinced him he was an idiot."

Caroline's eyes widened as she listened in to the conversation. She got up to her feet and turned around to face Klara. "You what?!"