Trip to Spain {4}

Start from the beginning

"Uh, right. I just, well," he hesitated and I cut in again.

"It's fine, I understand, what with all my natural beauty. It's a burden I've been cursed to carry my whole life," I sighed dramatically.

Jay was smiling at me when I looked back at him.

"Are you ever serious?" he joked.

"Only at funerals!" I shrugged and Jay laughed. "I'm sorry, I'll be serious if you want me to. What were you wanting to say?"

"I guess I wanted to say you were right. You caught me red-handed at the hotel." I froze for a second not knowing how to respond unless I made a joke.

"I just really like your swimsuit and wanted to know if you think it came in my size?" Jay said.

My smile came back full-force and I laughed so loud I probably scared a fish.

"You are such a dork!" I laughed, pushing his shoulder and walking backwards further into the water.

"Maddy, no! You must tell me your shopping secrets!" He started swimming after me and I laughed, pushing myself further away until I couldn't touch anymore and he caught up to me. We splashed each other for a while until he finally got a hold of me, wrapping his arms around me so mine were pinned to my sides. I squirmed, trying my hardest to free myself but failed.

"I'll let you go if you admit that you check me out too." He smiled smugly down at me. My face was way too close to his to come up with a clever response so I found myself just staring into his eyes. His eyes dropped to my lips and mine did the same. I looked back up and we made eye contact again. Jay cleared his throat and loosened his grip from around me so there was some space between us.

"Sorry," his voice was way softer than before when we were splashing around.

Now that I wasn't inches away from him, I could think a bit more clearly.

"You should be. I shouldn't be held accountable for checking you out when it's your fault for having such unnaturally perfect back muscles," I pretended to reprimand him, flicking some water at his face, getting him to smile and loosen up again.

"You really think I have nice back muscles?" He asked, turning and pretending to look at himself over his shoulder while he flexed. My eyes were fixated on his back as soon as he had turned but I quickly realized that was the wrong move when I heard him chuckling to himself. I looked back at his face to see he was laughing at my reaction.

"Once again, not my fault," I shrugged, winking at him before wading back to shore. Jay followed behind me and we hung out on the sand with my parents for a while. We played cards and mom and I laid out for a while. I read a few chapters of a book on my phone, wishing I had a romantic life like one of those characters but was distracted when Jay asked if I wanted to go on a walk to find some food. I stood up and grabbed my flip flops, not planning on putting them on unless we left the sand.

"I'll text you guys if we find something so we can bring it back for you," I told my mom.

"Sounds good, sweetie," my mom waved us off, caught up with her own book.

Jay and I headed up the beach towards a spot Jay had claimed he'd seen some snack shacks, casual silence between us.

"That looks promising," he spoke as we got closer to the roads that ran alongside the beach. We walked around and looked at some stores while trying to decide where we wanted to get food. Eventually we decided on a place called Sal Cafe. I had Jay talk on the phone with my parents since I couldn't read the menu super well other than 'hamburguesa' and 'pollo'. Once we knew what they wanted, Jay helped me pick what to eat and then put in our order.