Grief - Greece

(I'm so fruking sorry....if you can't handle the feels...I suggest you don't read...because I literally cried when I was writing this.)

The sky was dark, grey clouds blocking the bright sun and soon, it began to drizzle. And it turned to heavy rain. There was nothing you can do, so you watched the sky from your window.

Lightnings flashed between the clouds here and there and loud thunders came after that. Your phone rang, and you wondered who could possibly be calling you at this weather.

"_______," your friend, Heracles, mumbled your name.

"Why are you calling at this time? It's raining, Hera-" you stopped when you heard something on the line. "Heracles?"

"Ελλάδα..." he muttered between silent sobs.

"What about him?" you asked, suddenly worried.

"He's dying...."

That was all you need to know. You wasted no second, your feet taking you outside to Heracles' house immediately, running at an immense speed. You didn't care if you're soaking wet. You didn't have time to bring an umbrella. All that mattered was Heracles and Ελλάδα. That cat wasn't just any cat. He was the most precious one Heracles ever took care of. It represented Heracles well.

"Heracles!" you stood at his garden. You rushed beside him. In his arms held a bleeding Ελλάδα, still breathing, but slowly dying.

"What should I do, ______?" tears were falling down his cheeks, and soon you felt your tears coming out of your eyes as well.

You slowly shook your head. "It's dying, Heracles...there's nothing I can do," you said and he broke down. Ελλάδα's ragged breathing only entered your mind as you stared at the ground. Heracles shut his eyes close, refusing to look at his beloved dying cat. Loud thunderclaps filled the scene but you disregarded them.

A while after that, cradled in Heracles' arms, Ελλάδα breathed his last, the cat became lifeless.

"I'm sorry, Heracles,"

"It happened...to a lot of my cats...but this one..." he frowned, his tears dry. "So soon...he has another few years to live his life...with me...but someone...accidentally...hit him with a car," he suspired deeply, refusing to sob any further.

"Ελλάδα will look after you next. You looked after him long enough. It's time for him to repay you," you smiled sadly, patting his back. "He might be watching you up there," you helped him wipe his last tears.

"σας ευχαριστώ, _______,"

The rain stopped, but it was still cloudy. You dug a big hole, a grave for Ελλάδα, and Heracles gently placed him down.

"Is there anything else you want to say to him, Heracles?"

He pondered. "Σ 'αγαπώ," he smiled softly. "Just like ______,"

(Ελλάδα - Elláda - Greece
σας ευχαριστώ - sas echaristó̱ - Thank you
Σ 'αγαπώ - S 'agapó̱ - I love you)