one hundred nine

Comincia dall'inizio

"i just put hailey to sleep." mark replies. "she always asks for her mama. i don't know what i do when she dies."

"she won't die. gwen isn't someone who gives up easily." derek reminds him.

"that's more than true." mark laughs. "do mind staying with her? i want to go home and take a shower."

"no, go. i'm staying." derek assures him.

mark kissed her cheek before leaving.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

callie ran down the hall in her pyjamas after she got a call from derek. it's gwen and it's urgent.

"damn it. i knew i shouldn't have gone home. is she okay? did she code?" callie asks derek who stood there waiting for her.

"just come see." he says guiding her to the room.

"oh, god. where the hell is mark?" she asks. "derek, tell me what's going on."

but before he could answer they arrived in gwen's room.

callie couldn't believe her eyes.

there she sat with open eyes upright in her bed smiling at her.

"torres. where you been?" gwen asks.

callie looked at mark next to gwen's bed.

"it's crazy isn't it?" he asks kissing his wife.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"pretty amazing recovery, right?" jackson asks as he and a few other doctors watched mark and gwen.

"yeah. her stats are good?" derek asks smiling widely at the fact that his sister is okay. "she's being weaned off pressors?"

"yeah, b.p. is 110 over 60." jackson replies.

"and she's making inappropriate sexual comments to mark." callie chuckles before walking into gwen's room.

"you think it's the surge." derek states looking at richard.

"mmm. it might be." richard answers.

"i don't think it is." derek shoke his head looking at gwen.

"what's the surge?" brooks, one of the new interns, asks the attendings.

"in many terminally ill patients, they have a final surge of energy." richard explains. "they get better before they get worse."

"but this is not that." jackson shoke his head.

"but in a while, she'll do what all patients do. she'll have epiphanies, she'll tell you what really matters in life, ask for her family." richard says.

"it's not a surge." derek states.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"it's not your fault. you didn't force her to try your approach." gwen tells her brother after a fellow neurosurgeon failed a surgery. "if she couldn't pull it off, well, then..."

"i could've pulled it off had i been in there." derek protests.

"well, you'll be back in there." gwen assures him.

"no, i won't." derek shoke his head walking up and down in the room. "i will be the former neurosurgeon, derek shepherd, research librarian."