one hundred three

gwen walked outside the to the ambulance bay with crsitina. this weekend the boards take place in san francisco. a shuttle bus is taking the residents to the airport.

"okay, don't overthink it. they want standard protocol, not cutting edge. this is a test in proficiency, and you're proficient in your sleep. so just make sure that you get a lot of sleep." gwen advises cristina.

"you want me to be relaxed, right?" cristina asks slightly annoyed by gwen's motivation.

"exactly." gwen nods.

"this isn't helping." cristina dismisses her then she walked to the bus.

"you're right. go!" she smiles. "kick ass."

then she got paged by derek.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

derek paged her to the daycare.

"they called ten minutes ago. she started throwing up right after i dropped her off." derek explains gwen while meredith hugs zola close to her.

"she's really warm. maybe i should stay." meredith says.

"no, babies get sick." gwen tells her not wanting her sister-in-law to miss her boards. "it sucks, but it's the disgusting circle of life. you have trained to hard. callie had personally put in hours of her life that she will never get back, so you're not failing bust because your mommy hormones are all code orange."

"go to the airport. pass your boards." derek tells his wife.

"my baby is sick." meredith protests.

"lucky for her, her father and aunt are doctors." derek reminds her.

"takes a village. and zola's village is chock-full of doctors. okay? she will be fine. just go. make me proud." gwen assures her.

"all right." meredith nods. "mama loves you, zo. you're my zozo. i love you. i'll be home soon." meredith kissed her cheek before leaving.

"hey, gwen, thank you very much. do you mind looking after her for a minute?" derek asks. "i gotta make some calls."

"yeah, no. no. hailey had that bug last week, so i'm not getting anywhere near that." gwen dismisses him.

"what happened to we're a village?" derek asks her.

"it's a metaphor, shepherd. good luck." gwen calls as she walks away.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen stood at a table in an empty room searching through some chart and files when she heard a knock.

"i need you, gwen." mark says making her jump a little.

"hi. what?" gwen asks confused.

"i need you." mark repeats. "i'm doing a skin graft, and i'm stuck with an intern who thinks that debriding the necrotic tissue is the title of a nine inch nails album."

"you sure it's not?" gwen chuckles.

"it might be. i'm not familiar with their later work." mark says making gwen raise a hand to stop him from talking.

"you're just sad because jackson is off to take his boards." gwen states.

"he and i work well together. we understand each other. like you and i use to, you know? so i need you." mark smiles still standing in the doorway.

"first of all, i'm not even a plastic surgeon. i couldn't help you even if i'd want and second i have a lot of things to do today." gwen dismisses him.