seventy nine

the next day gwen and mark went to work while callie stayed at home.

today was a patient presentation in the lecture hall.

dr.mcqueen presented roy henley to the other dodctors.

"it became clear to dr.yang that they were gonna need to switch modalities. the patient was put on ecmo." mcqueen explains them.

"and why did dr.yang opt to use the intra-aortic balloon pump over an r-vad?" one of the doctors in the hall asks.

"i, um, i can't answer for dr.yang." mcqueen dismisses him.

"and why isn't she here?" the same doctor asks.

"she, um... she quit." dr.mcqueen blurts. "she left the program."

"i'm sorry. what? she what?" gwen asks outraged standing up.

"dr.yang cleared the balloon pump with dr.shepherd who agreed that it was the best-" mcqueen continued but gwen cuts him off.

"go back. go back. yang quit the program?" gwen asks again.

"yeah, were have you been?" derek asks who sat next to her.

"well, that's the first time i've heard of it." gwen defends herself.

she was so busy with callie she didn't even knew her best cardio resident quit.

"hunt, what the hell?" gwen turned around to look at the trauma surgeon.

"she told the chief she quit." hunt states.

"if we could just finish the presentation, then-" dr.mcqueen tries again.

"i have a question." derek cuts him off this time. "can you tell us about your decision to put dr.yang in charge of this patient?"

"sorry?" mcqueen raised a brow.

"but she didn't quit quit, right?" gwen asks still confused about cristina. then sheturned to meredith. "grey." she calls making everyone looking at the resident. "you're joined at the hip. what'd she say?"

"uh, she hasn't spoken to me about it." meredith replies. "stop looking at me. look up there."

"does callie know anything about this?" gwen asks. "i'm calling torres."

gwen took out her phone leaving the room to call callie.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

after gwen ended the call the doctors walked out of the lecture hall. gwen spotted owen and walked over to him.

"how is she doing? i she okay?" gwen asks him referring to cristina.

"oh, we're... i don't know. she's- we're good. we're fine. it's like nothing has changed, yet she refuses to talk about work." owen sighs stop walking. "i bring up work, and she goes blank."

"shepherd. hunt." webber calls them. "emergent patient ten minutes out. can you meet me in the v.i.p. wing?"

"v.i.p. wing? who is it?" owen asks.

"oh, you'll find out when we get there." webber assures them. "listen, hunt, i'm required to send a letter to the american board of surgery declaring that dr.yang has officially left the residency program. i have to let them know. i'm asking you, is there any reason i need to hold off on sending that letter?"

"yes." owen and gwen said in unsion.

"please don't mail it. just give us a little more time." gwen begs.