twenty seven

gwen was sitting at joe's watching her brother having a date. with sidney heron.
she watched them with wide eyes and a frown.

when sidney pager beeped gwen took the opportunity to go over to her brother.

"is she dying? is that why?" she mocked his brother.

"grow up. she's nice. asked me out." he explaines her.

"want me to fake a heart attack?" gwen asks him. "i do a great fake heart attack."

"here she come." derek said wich made gwen stood up to go to the bar again.

"carry on." she smiles.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was doing rounds an her patient.

"his incision is healing nicely. no erythema or purulent discharge." cristina informs her. "he'll be monitored, we'll wean him off the drip once his meds are maximized. after discharge, we expect him to follow up in the cardiac clinic."

"there are four other people, yang. how about letting one of them talk?" gwen asks her.

cristina looked confused at her intern who stood behind her.

"uh... mr.talbot's cardiomyopathy is unusually complicated, that's all." cristina tries to defend herself.

"you know, you could take a cue from dr.stevens." gwen advises her. "she knows what's going with her patient and she's inclusive."

then all their pager began to beep.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was being paged to a man named marcus checking his ekg.

"i can't believe i got to fill out all this stuff." marcus tells bailey. "i mean a kid gets a bump on the head and you've got to write a novel?" bailey chuckled as he leaned closer. "mandi, i know you're really busy, but if there's any chance at all you could help me out with this..."

"patients are supposed to fill those out. not the doctor." george tells the men.

"you be quiet." bailey warns george. "don't worry about it, marcus. we'll figure out something." she assures him while gwen listened to his heart.

"good old mandi." marcus smiles. "you always got my back, huh?"

"you hush now." bailey chuckles.

"i hate to interrupt the reminiscing, but i'm trying to listen here." gwen tells them sternly. after hearing his heart finally gwen put her stethoscope around her neck. "you do have atrial fibrillation." she says as she took the chart. "but you're not symptomatic, that's a good sign. we'll start you on some blood thinners and do an outpatient workup. a treatment plan you could have made yourself, dr.bailey." of course gwen saw the faces and grimaces bailey and marcus did. "if you weren't acting like such a blithering idiot." she then walks away.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

mark, gwen and richard were sitting on a table in the cafeteria when two young girls giggled at the table next to them.

"is it me or are these teenyboppers staring at you?" gwen asks mark.

he looked over to see the girls staring and giggling in his direction.

"i get that a lot. it started when i was their age. it never really went away." he explaines to her.

gwen just scoffed. she doesn't like it when woman were looking at him and she clearly didn't like it when two teenies were looking at him.

"is that so?" richard asks him as well.

mark waved them over to him.

"come on. let's go over there. come on! come on!" the one girl said as they stand up from their table to walk over to the doctors.

"what can i do for you ladies?" he asks smirking.

"tell him." the same girl told the other one.

"no. it's embarrassing." the second one shoke her head.

"you can tell me." mark assures her still smirking.

"you look exactly like her dad." she said.

and that's when gwen started to laugh loud. the girls ran away giggling.

"swing and a miss." richard mocks mark while gwen still laughed.

mark looked at her but she just stood up still laughing walking away from him as well.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"i pulled all the x-rays for tomorrow's scheduled surgeries." cristina informed gwen who was writing in a chart.

"and what am i supposed to do with them?" she asks her.

"oh, i thought i could put them in the o.r if you needed me to." cristina offers her.

"well, i don't." she tell her and walks away.

"back off." callie said from behind cristina.

"what?" cristina asks she turns around to face callie.

"you're being a brownnoser." callie explaines to her.

"i'm helping her." cristina defends herself.

"no, you're annoying her. get a chance to show what you can do, you're blowing it and trust me, i know gwen, these kind of chances do not come around all the time. so you know, just back off."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"that was a pretty big vsd on the echo." gwen tells bailey as they were operating on marcus on an emergency surgery. "i'm going to do an additional arteriotomy of the right pa."

"you should've taken the situation seriously." bailey scolds gwen. "you should've orderd further tests."

"maybe i should have." gwen says. "but maybe you should have. and if you weren't that busy flirting with the patient like a lovestruck teenager, maybe you would have. forceps, please."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"you paged dr.shepherd?" cristina asks as she enters the o.r.

"apperently when you ask for copies of the ct angio around here, people think it's all right to just give you the slices that contain the clot." she tells cristina more friendly than before. "can you please bring me the entire ct?"

"absolutely. yes, absolutely. i'll do that right now." she assures.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was sitting with derek at a table at joe's when sidney approached them.

"the shepherd siblings." she greets them. "how are we this evening?"

both looked up at her with forced smiles.

"hi sidney." gwen greets her.

"derek, you think i just could talk to you for one quick second." she asks him.

"yeah." he nods while looking at gwen who stood up from her seat. "have a seat."

"remember heart attack." gwen mouths to her brother.

she walked over to the bar to see mark sitting there.

"hey dad." she greets him.

"oh, please stop." he chuckles.

"no, it's just so funny." she says while sipping on her drink.

"you know what despite that i'm so old you're still gonna have sex with me." he smirks while leaning closer. "maybe we go to the toilett?"

"we could have sex." she as she leans in as well. "but not here. you will have to wait till we get home."

"but i'm so old. what if i don't make till your apartment." he joked.

"haha. come on. let's go." she says and grabbed his hand.