50. Launching

It was September 24th, the official launching date and today I was indeed launching into a new life. The sunset was magnificent, the most beautiful this year for sure, the ocean calm playing it's smooth music against The Lagoon. There was a chapel made on the beach out of flower arches and rows of creamy white chairs.

I was walking slowly seeing my guests still scattered all around it in smaller and bigger groups. It have been some hectic two moths, a lot of work to keep the company, convince action holders to invest into the City's green spaces and endless hours with Haechan and the science team to establish a new plan for launching form the magnetic field created by the satellites instead of launching form Earth. I had postponed the start for at least two years, as yes I had so much to catch up on here. I was even considering to give that mission to someone else, maybe Mark, he hated gravity anyway.

Speaking about Mark I saw him from afar as he was wearing an edgy green suit to red glasses and a leopard print baseball cap but he wasn't alone. Damn he was there holding someone's hand leaning in every few minutes to share sweet kisses with no other but Haechan. My jaw fell, so these two had been a thing for years now, right? The thing keeping Haechan here, the reason why he was so sad when Mark was in jail trying to convince me Mark isn't a bad person. I have know him for some time, had said Haechan back then. Yes, definitely knew him well, I chuckled. Actually I was really happy for them.

The guest were all tossing secret glances my way which I ignored as I was looking for Thee-San. I wanted to man up and finally say sorry for breaking her heart and acting like a total brat. There was a long table with sweet snacks and champagne glasses. She was there wearing a long bright-yellow dress so I approached swiftly, but stopped seeing her blushing hard while speaking to a young man, both looking my way.

"Hi Thee-San. I see you have met doctor Dejun." I said awkwardly.

"Yes, Mr. Xiao was telling me about Blue Birds." Thee-San blushed harder.

"Yes Miss, it is an abstract concept but some science including psychological studies says existence is just a feature of the language." Stuttered Dejun.

I shook my head. Poor boy has spend his whole life saving people and couldn't even flirt, definitely has never been on a proper date or had anything.

"Mr Dejun wanted to emphasize how stunning you look in this dress." I muttered chuckling.

Thee-San's cheeks became deeply purple.

"I actually put labels on all my clothes according to the occasion." She whispered.

"That's... highly efficient." Denjun washed some sweat off him forehead.

I leaned to Thee-San's ear lowering my voice.

"I wanted to apologize for raising your hope then crushing it. You're an amazing woman who deserves the world. I wish you luck. Ah, and Dejun is a great man so keep him. Just help him out a bit the boy can't flirt for life."

Thee-San giggled. She nodded looking from me to Dejun who became even more stressed.

"I wish you both a pleasant evening. I think my husband to be awaits."

I turned form them walking towards the stage when the guests took place. The setting sun was lying on Jeno figure when I approached my heart beating so loudly.

Ellie was sitting in the front next to Lucas bouncing on her chair while hugging Lora.

"Uncle Jaemin." She waved my way so I waved back.

Seeing her so lively, healthy and energetic was the best feeling in my entire life. It showed me all I had scarified was fully worth it.

No matter if grandfather would curse me forever, what I had here was real and only that mattered.

"Hi." Jeno smiled to me.

"Hi." I stopped in front of him stretching my hand out to grab his palm.

"Are we ready to start?" Asked the priest.

"Yes." I squeezed Jeno's sweaty fingers.

It has been so amazing, that evening when we left Ellie with Lucas then went to The Lagoon for a date and I fell on my knees proposing.

We have been living like a married couple anyway as Jeno and Ellie had moved in into my house, but I guess I wanted to call him husband, to make it fully real. Maybe Dejun was right, existence in some point was just a feature of the language.

So the priest started speaking, my heart beating louder and louder. We whispered all vows, shared rings and sealed it with a kiss.
The ocean was violet the sky golden and pink. The crowd clapping happily until Ellie's voice sounded above all other sounds.

"Look! Uncle Lucas look! Blue Birds!"

I raised my gaze to see a flock has lifted off The Lagoon flying over our heads, the sinking sunset reflecting on their bodies bringing out a reach blue shade.

Ellie was jumping up happily pointing to the sky. She started to run behind the birds and for a second she became as wide as the beach to come back as an ordinary girl a moment later. Fortunately the guests were too busy watching the miracle above our heads to notice. Probably only me and Dejun could understand fully that we had indeed managed to reach a new dimension, to open another universe here on Earth. I rested my head on Jeno's shoulder admiring that spectacle, an inner harmony filling me for the very first time.

The stars could wait.

Much <3