14. Freshly married

The car set into motion leaving the shade of the clinic moving out onto a bumpy road out of cracked concrete plates. The last earthquake has hit the zone hard five years ago, since then people were using what was left of Highway 9.4. I've heard the local church had collapsed into pieces burying over 200 victims so no one really liked to visit the area. Only the ones living here without hope for better life had stayed trying to survive the constant threat of the tectonic riff border and the merciless desert.

We were crossing the leftovers of the highway with careful low speed diving into a town like cut out of a movie. Dirty shop windows, walls yellow and orange from constant contact with the deserts winds. The dust was so significant in the air it clouded the horizon, there was a whole veil of sand behind us spreading off the wheels.

I could have been in my beautiful house on the hill right now, dancing with Thee-San on the terrace to some LP's music, getting drunk with love and forgetting. Was it really how I wished to spend my last vocation on Earth? In some dead-already ghost town in the middle of nowhere with a way too handsome stranger worrying like crazy about his daughter. Wishing nothing more than for her to be ok again.

"How has is happened to Ellie?" I asked glancing Jeno's way when he squeezed his fists so tightly his knuckles became white.

"Never trust a woman." He said through clenched teeth.

"Do you mean Ellie's mother?" I asked stunned.

"Don't call her mother, she's not a mother, don't deserve to be called mother." Jeno was watching the desolated spaced behind the window with a mad expression.

"Is it because she has left you and Ellie?" I risked to ask.

Jeno took a loud breath but stayed quiet when I caught Lucas's meaningful gaze giving me signs to freaking stop asking.

"Sorry man. It's not my business." I muttered.

"Right." Jeno finally loosened his clenched fists.

I was happy when the car reached a small building with a falling of neon sign saying Paradise Hotel.

"We're here." Lucas jumped out first.

I saw him checking on the gun he was always carrying behind his belt. There was something strange in his behavior I couldn't name what was raising some tension, even more than Jeno not speaking to me.

"The thing is... guys, they had only one room good enough to house in so you have to share a king size bed." Lucas rubbed the backside of his neck nervously.

"What?"

"What!"

Me and Jeno reacted exactly the same way, but there was no turning back now so we followed Lucas into the building up a staircase to a room with wilted balloons hanging along a wall around glittering letters composing into  'FRES_ _Y _ARRIED', as some letters were missing.

"So, take a rest I'll go to the clinic to keep Ellie company." Muttered Lucas.

Jeno nodded walking to the bedroom stripping off his jacket and t-shirt when I was left there staring at his perfectly sculptured body.

"Will take a shower first, sleep for an hour then go to stay with Ellie, won't bother you."
Muttered Jeno turning to me when all I could do was to nod awkwardly.

He took a towel from the bed then disappeared in the bathroom slamming the door shut while I was trying my best to stay calm, remove that freaking image of his toned chest and abs off my mind. How long will I stand being confronted with that unreachable temptation towards my own gay self, who was hopelessly trying to convince himself he was straight and freaking Renjun has been some teenage mistake that will never ever happen again.

I sat down on the bed trying to focus, to freaking picture going through galaxies towards the edge of the known universe, the solitude of vacuum for light years of travel. To picture the small me telling grandfather that I will continue his dream when he was lying on the hospital bed in his last week. Still my mind switched over to teenage me kissing Renjun in my apartment on a rainy day, untying the button of his school uniform... why was it suddenly Jeno's toned stone strong chest of a Greek hero I was mentally kissing instead of Renjun's fragile self.

I had traveled through galaxies of my sexuality to be back at square one, back where I had started, sitting here on a rough hotel bed picturing myself having sex with a man who was taking a shower a thin gray wall from me, so thin I could hear the stream.

I should call Thee-San, leave Jeno and Ellie here for doctor Dejun to take care of them, should return to my planned last vocation, to the planned confession, to my almost girlfriend...

Bang! The door slammed. All the hair on my body raised, butterflies began to dance in my stomach. Was I freaking crazy?

Jeno was, yes wearing his jeans, the water dripping from his hair onto that chest.

"Um..." I hoped my face hasn't given out my uncombed thoughts.

"Bathroom free." Jeno avoided my gaze his cheeks turned a bit red.

"Thanks." I gulped.

"Maybe I'll visit Ellie now. Don't even have fresh clothes to change." He grabbed the t-shirt he has taken off not so long ago.

"I'll call Lucas ask to organize us something." I was hot, cold, burning.

"Thanks." Jeno threw the t-shirt on a chair falling on the mattress staring on the ceiling.

"Nice tattoo." I muttered glancing at the cross under his eye. "A creative way to expose your mole."

Thank you so much for your love

Thank you so much for your love. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. What do you think about Jaemin's attempts to communicate with Jeno and his crush getting worse? Will Jeno react to him flirting?

Much <3