7. Lion's head

"Take Off Investment seniors, the in authority Science Group, Kim&Kim action holders..."

I was dozing off at Hendery's voice observing a plane gaining height above the city to slowly disappear in the cloudless sky.

Some rain had been forecasted for tomorrow, but right now the horizon was as bright as almost everyday. It was raining just a few times a year, so each time it did the streets were changing into rivers, most people didn't even know how to walk on slippery wet pavements, the drives were causing one mess.

"Mr Na!" Hendery raised his voice a bit. "That detailed study my resort had prepared shows what impressive gain we will reach by launching earlier. July 1st might even be our best option as the predicted constellation of the Asteroid Field will triple the chance of Outer Space to leave the Solar System without a collision. There I have a model of..."

"What birds are living in The Lagoon?" I cut Hendery's speech when all eyes in the room focused on me.

"Excuse me what?" Hendery burst out with laughter.

"I've asked what birds are living in The Lagoon?"

Hendery was blinking with his eyes for a good few seconds until catching back into his self-confident shell.

"That doesn't matter... so as I was saying here's a simulation of Space Beyond going through the Asteroid Field on July 1st..."

"What birds are living in The Lagoon?" I repeated with a stubborn calmness.

"I'm not some freaking ornithologist, how could I know!" Hendery flipped his curls back. "Some seagulls, ducks maybe... and other crap. What I was stating here..."

"Gentlemen, the meeting is over." I got up from my chair grabbed the half emptied coffee cup.

"Jaemin why don't you want to launch earlier?" Asked Hendery his face extra pale.

"We're launching on September 24th as planned. Till then I'm on vocation and I advise you all to enjoy that last vocation because after take off you will barely sleep. Have a good day." I left the conference room bumping into Thee-San in the corridor.

"Was the coffee ok, sweet boss?" She asked winking to me.

"Excellent as always." I wished to kiss her but we were in my workplace and weren't official yet so I resisted the urge.

"Can my cousin come to the dinner party tonight" she asked.

"Sure invite whoever you want, ah... do you have plans for tomorrow evening?"

"My plans are yours sweet boss." She blushed harder.

"Be at mine tomorrow around eight."

"What should I wear?"

I knew she was always extremely worried about dress codes, keeping a dress for each damn occasion in her wardrobe, all of them labeled, like - "1st step importance meeting", "2nd step importance meeting" and so one in a 1 to 10 scale, "dinner party", "club party", "yacht party", "garden party", "banquet", "ball", "birthday" and so on. The first time I saw it after opening her wardrobe I was stunned, now when I knew her better it just added up to her sweet yet a bit weird personality.

"You can wear nothing." I whispered right int her ear.

"Oh it's that occasion." Her face was burning. "Sweet boss so I'll definitely wear something you can remove easily and no underwear." She giggled.

I really couldn't with her, bursting out with laughter.

"See you at the dinner tonight." I caressed over her hair before leaving the room quickly.

A few minutes later I was on the backseat of a car opening my briefcase to fish out a smooth black box tied with a golden ribbon, my heartbeat speeding up uncontrollably. I have bought that little gift three weeks ago and was carrying around like a mad man while struggling hard with the decision that was slowly immersing into a wish in my mind. So if my courage will last tomorrow evening I'll finally ask Thee-San to date me.

The lion's static eyes were fixed on me. It seemed almost present in the room. What did it take for a man to stand face to face with it I wondered turning from that lifeless head, a hunt trophy Zhong Chenle was keeping in his living room.

Men liked to burst, to conquer, to show that they are powerful and mighty, sometimes we were getting lost in that chase though. This morning I had been questioning Hendery about the birds in The Lagoon to annoy him, to see that face filled with hopeless resistance when he had realized he can wish for more, for freaking launching today but it was me who had the final world. Nevertheless on September 1st all the huge machinery will intrude The Lagoon, the next days all elements of the launching platform will be connected. So September 24th I will open a new era in humankind. The era of Na and his Outer Space.

"Sweet boss would you like to meet my cousin? He wants to show you something." I heard Thee-San's voice right behind me.

"Sure." I turned from the lion's head.

Were we really so eager to place destruction everywhere we went? Would we do the same in another universe?

I pushed that thought aside following Thee-San to the long couch where a young man raised up to shake my hand.

"I'm Qian Kun. It's a pleasure to meet someone like you Mr Na. Thee-San has been only speaking fondly about you."

How could she not, with that hopeless crush she had, I chuckled to my thoughts.

"Your cousin is my favorite secretary and that title is hard to achieve." I winked to the girl who became deeply red.

I loved to make her uncomfortable at times.

"I've heard you wanted to show me something." I focused on the man.

"Yes, please sit down." He pointed at the couch so I took place between the pillows.

A rumor broke out at the door and I saw Hendery hurrying inside, wearing the same suit as in the morning.

What was he doing here? We were in senator Zhong's residence and he hasn't been on the guest list.