🕷(33) The Devil's Waltz

Brooklyn POV-

Rich people were as annoying as she'd expected. For the better part of the past hour, Brooklyn had been approached by lame people who were trying to suck up to Tony and Pepper.

They always asked her the same questions, and expressed their opinions about how wonderful it was to hear about her existence, and how perfect her new life in the spotlight must be now. 

Those who had children tried to set up something akin to 'play dates' in the efforts that their families could become closer to the Stark couple and the heiress meant to inherit everything.

Even though Brook hadn't been reprimanded for her outburst towards Mr. Wayne, and likely never would be, she still tried to be on her best behavior from then on. 

She shook hands, smiled, laughed at stupid jokes, and even said a few words when the press was let in to scout interviews.

At some point, her parents (because that's what they were, no matter how much Brook panicked about it) had been offered some champagne. When Brook reached out to grab a glass of her own Tony pulled her hand down.

"You're too young for that, and I'd rather you were sober thought this" her otets said, smirking as he pulled the flute of champagne to his lips.

Brooklyn shrugged, "You know I've been drinking since I was 5, right? And it's all been stuff much stronger than a weak champagne. Vodka, whiskey, even brandy a few times. I'm not a light weight" she whispered.

Pepper, who had been sitting beside her suddenly became alarmed.

"Why on earth would they let you drink at such a young age?" she asked, making sure to be loud enough to be heard by the teen and Tony.

As Brook beheld the dancing partners before their table on the dance floor, she realized maybe talking about her past with her family wouldn't be so bad. 

They hadn't judged her for the killing aspect of her childhood after all.

Steeling her nerves, Brook whispered to her parents, "Well, 'they' gave me alcohol to numb pain after particularly interesting training sessions. Unless you were about to die, medical treatment wasn't offered so you could create a strong pain tolerance. The alcohol wasn't given to us out of pity, but also to create a high alcohol tolerance so that on missions, it wouldn't be a weakness. Everything in there had a purpose after all"

Brook suddenly remembered the cold nights in her bed, drinking her monthly alcohol bottle to numb the pain of her whip lashes and to fight off the chill of the night.