🕷(14) Midtown High School

Brooklyn POV-

The black Audi parked outside the school gates of Midtown High School slowly. 

From the tinted windows, Brook could barely see anything aside from a cluster of trees and passing students along the streets.

This shouldn't be as intimidating as if felt. It was just high school, filled with a bunch of teens who were of no danger or consequence at all, most of them likely couldn't even touch their toes let alone kill a trained assassin such as herself.

So why was it that she felt a sense of dread?

From the driver's seat, Happy turned around and faced her with a closed lip smile, pulling down his dark shades.

"First day of school. I would say knock em' dead, but with your background I'm afraid you just might" he joked.

Brook unfastened her seatbelt with a glare, eyeing the brand new backpack laying in the seat beside her. Pepper had bought it for her, insisting it needed to be strong enough to withstand all her non-existant books.

Aside from the reassurance of the backpack full of pencils and notebooks, Brook had no clue what else to do. Even if walking out was the next reasonable step, she just couldn't take it.

She'd woken up at the compound early, dressed in the least flashy clothes she bought, as a survival method for the first day (Brook had declined any clothes from Wanda, opting to have Vision bring some from the truck currently tasked with taking her clothes to her apartment instead). 

She'd taken up FRIDAY's offer to have breakfast in her room. It had been nice to spend the morning alone to calm her nerves...until she'd snuck to the front of the building to leave.

The Avengers, curse them, had lined up by the entrance to the Avengers building and wished her a good first day in front of all the passing employees. The dramatics seemed like too much, as if they thought she'd be going to war and this was their last chance at a farewell.

It had made her laugh a little bit, no that she let them see, but it mostly annoyed her.

Brooklyn had hoped that was the end of that, but herotets had hesitantly pulled her aside when Happy arrived with the car. 

Brook had expected a lecture, or maybe a warning to behave for both their sakes. Instead, he awkwardly patted her on the shoulder and gave her a crumbled piece of paper with an address, and a shiny new smartphone.

"That's your new home, Fury told me everything was set up yesterday and your clothes are being dropped off today. If something isn't to your liking, please bother Fury about it. Maybe he'll sprout some grey hairs on that bald head of his" he said, then motioned to the black phone, "It has all our numbers on it... I'm not saying you'll need it, but 1 on speed dial is for emergencies, remember that"