🕷(90) The Second Gala

Brooklyn POV-

As a true test of her control, Brooklyn now had to deal with her third greatest public appearance. 

Sure, she'd survived her first gala and Family day, but now she had the extra nerve wrecking knowledge that she had unsettling flames in control.

Well, control was a strong word...it was more like she'd kept them at bay successfully.

The vibranium bracelets under the sleeves of her white dress were a comfort even when they still froze her body, but it was winter, no one thought twice about her body being cold. 

But an even greater comfort was the fact that she was her with her family. 

Dad had come to pick her up after school, and the Starks had gotten ready at a nearby luxury hotel in Bronx, near the Osborn Industries building where the charity gala would be held.

As mom had brushed and made little braids in Brook's hair while dad was fixing Harley's tie, mom mentioned the event was for the inauguration a new children's hospital and for immediate emergency care.

Given that this was Harley's first gala, mom and dad were quite excited and Brooklyn couldn't help but join in on the festive ambiance, especially after yesterday's game, which Harley had not gone to because he wanted to rest up for today.

Brook could tell her little brother was still nervous, so she made it her mission to reassure him in the limo ride that all would be well, and that it might actually be a little boring.

All of this was bringing back memories of her first gala, the fear back then to prove herself as a worthy Stark. This time around, Brooklyn had gotten her blinking under control for the cameras, managed to find Harry early on and let him show Harley around to break his nerves.

Because the event was hosted on the large roof of the building, one decorated with greenery and a marble center for couples to dance in, Brooklyn was left to socialize far out of her parents sights as they danced with smiles and kisses.

She found it wasn't as hard to greet people now, she knew what these people were interested in, and Brook was no longer the new novelty from before. 

She actually managed to find the Richards family and greeted Frank with a hug. The two spent some time talking about what Brooklyn had missed at Xaviers these past few days, but eventually their easy flow of conversation had ended when Lex Luthor arrived and he began making motions for his son to go over to her, likely to ask for a dance.

So Brooklyn spent the next half hour dodging the teen AND his dad. 

Eventually her family had reunited at the table with food before them, and Lex Jr had to relinquish his advances to go see his family in the dance floor without a partner.

Harley laughed at her misery for a good three minutes and she couldn't wait for him to be pestered so the young boy could see what it was like.

It was during their little break from socializing that Brook overheard someone from a nearby table make some very loud comments, a tall balding man speaking to his male colleagues, some of which Brooklyn had briefly spoken to earlier.

"A lot of people will end up coming late today because of those mutant rallies, those freaks think they deserve to be treated like us. I think they should all join Magneto and whatever other international security dangers are roaming around" balding man said, causing the idiots around him to laugh as their wine glasses raised.