Ten Dates

"I'm serious Lily. I actually like the idea of being engaged to you." Gavin looked into her eyes. He didn't look like the tough aloof businessman he usually appeared to be. He looked like he was pleading for his life in that moment.

Lily was so stunned she couldn't think straight. Was he seriously proposing they become engaged? Lily finally pulled her thoughts together and found words she thought would be a compromise.

"Gavin, I am completely honored that you would even think I was worthy enough to be your wife. I know that it would be a position of honor in the Sun family as well as in society. But, I am not sure I am ready to make that big of a commitment to someone I really don't know. I have a slight proposition for you instead....." She paused as she put together her thoughts a little more.

Gavin was staring at her as if nothing else in the world existed.

"10 dates. Let's have 10 real dates. Just us. Getting to know one another. If after 10 dates we want to move forward and be in a serious relationship, then we will cross that road. This is not an engagement. This is not a relationship. This is 10 dates. That is all I am promising you."

"You vow to me 10 dates, sworn on our families?" Gavin was going to win her over in 10 dates.

"Yes. I vow it. 10 dates. And today does NOT count!" She was going to win that today wasn't a date.

Gavin threw his head back in an actual full laugh that drew the attention of other patrons.

"Deal, today is not a date. That means you have to see me 10 more times." He smiled a very mischievous grin.

Lily balled her hands up under the table – she didn't think it through enough and it would mean 10 more times. She realized she should have let him win the date argument.

"Oh, one more rule." Lily spoke with authority. "No other women. Period."

"Agreed. That means no other men for you either." He eyed her seriously.

"Ha! That's easy for me!" Lily shrugged off his counter rule.

"Then it's a deal." Gavin put out his hand to shake Lily's hand as if they had just struck a business deal.

As Lily shook his hand she cheekily said "See I told you this was not a date."

Gavin admired her fighting spirit, she was perfect for him in every way..

Gavin paid the bill and then escorted Lily out of the café. He put his hand in the small of her back and several other patrons noticed. The whispering that occurred as the two of them walked out was more than usual. "Was that young Master Sun?" "Who is that beautiful woman he was with?" "Is it possible Master Sun has a new girl?"

The wait staff especially took note, they all knew who Lily was, and they were all cheering for her in their hearts.

"May I take you to your next destination?" Gavin asked as they stood near his Mercedes.

"As long as it doesn't count as a date." Lily playfully responded.

"Not a date." Gavin smiled down at her. She was so petite next to him. He wanted to scoop her up and hold onto her. He wanted to protect her and make her feel loved for the rest of her life. Although she wasn't all for an engagement he knew he would only marry her.

Gou opened the door to the car for Lily as she approached.

"Miss Lily." He greeted her. His tone and his facial expressions were not as friendly as the other driver Hal, but he was not mean or off putting to her either.