Chapter 9

Later that day, Aaliyah was cooking dinner. She was concerned because nobody had heard from Dre all day. Not even Jay.

"Ooooh girl I love your cooking", said Carmen with a smile.

Aaliyah was zoned out so she didn't hear her.

Carmen looked at Aaliyah for a moment. "Aaliyah?", Carmen said.

"Huh", Aaliyah replied?

"Dre is okay. I'm sure of it", Carmen said.

"I haven't  talked to him since last night Carmen. I mean even if he was okay and he didn't even check up on me then he's probably done with me", said Aaliyah.

"He's not done with you", said Carmen as she walked to Aaliyah.

"...even since I've been in his life I've gotten him into a lot that had nothing to do with him", Aaliyah said.

"And he did the same to you", Carmen said.

Aaliyah looked away. "I'm done talking about him", Aaliyah said.

Carmen didn't say anything, she just looked at Aaliyah. "Stop letting your insecurities get to you", Carmen said. "I get it, it's been hard for you but it's been hard for me too yet I try to be positive about life", said Carmen. "I thought you were more positive about things"

Aaliyah sigh.

"Or is this just your postpartum depression?", Carmen asked.

Aaliyah looked at Carmen. "How did you know?, asked Aaliyah.

"Dre told me", Carmen replied.

Aaliyah turned the stove off. "Foods done", she said before she began walking out the kitchen.

"You aren't going to eat?", Carmen said.

"I'm not hungry. I was just cooking for you", Aaliyah said before walking out.

Carmen stood there for a moment. She realized that Aaliyah didn't eat all day and she was starting to see what Dre meant.

Suddenly, she heard her door bell ring so she looked at the app on her phone to see who it was. It was Dre.

Carmen walked into the living room and opened the door.

"Where have you been?", Carmen asked. "Aaliyah was worried sick"

Dre walked in and Carmen saw a familiar tattoo on his arm that was freshly done.

"I broke my phone", Dre said as he looked around.

Carmen looked up at him. "A call from anyone's phone would've nice Dre", she said.

"I was busy", said Dre.

"Yea, but yet you can get a tattoo", she said as she looked closely.

Dre moved his arm.

"Oh hell no, Dre. I know you didn't", Carmen said.

Aaliyah began coming downstairs.

Dre ignored Carmen and smiled at Aaliyah. "Hey baby", he said.

"Hey", Aaliyah said with a slight smile.

"Come here", Dre said with his arms open.

Aaliyah walked over to him and hugged him.