Chapter 14 ~

Chapter 14

“It was an accident!” Mirah screamed as Shayden’s cold hand wrapped around her waist. She felt her body bend in unnatural ways as she was shaken and thrown into every solid surface available.  She felt Shayden’s otherwise hidden claws extend. They dug into every single piece of exposed flesh. Blood now coated the trees and boulders that her body went repeatedly flying into.

“Shayden, STOP!” It worked. Her body slumped to the ground. She knew this was a complete over-reaction. But then, she knew Shayden and the pain she now felt. Mirah had practically just ripped Shayden’s mate from her arms. She was lucky to still be living.

“You told her that she was my mate and she ran away from me? She finds me that repulsive?” Tears slipped from Shayden’s eyes.

“No. Shayden, she’s angry because she thinks that since you didn’t tell her yourself… well, she thinks that you do not want her.” It was hard to get the words out. Mirah’s throat was badly damaged.

“She thinks I do not want her? Why? Because I have not yet claimed her? She thinks I hesitate because I am looking for a way out of it? Tell me this is not true, Mirah!” Shayden knelt in front of Mirah. Her face contorted in anger, disbelief, regret, self-hate, and so many more. Shayden was an emotional storm right now.

“Yes, Shayden. Nixie ran away because she’s hurt. I really thought that you had told her about the bond you both share. I truly am sorry. Please, go find her.” Mirah would heal within the hour, Shayden knew this, and so Shayden left, running as fast as she could, to find her mate. She searched for over an hour on land before she decided to unfold her wings. Night-flyers mainly flew at night because during the day they were so noticeable. Shayden stripped the clothes from her body. Her wings began to grow from the flesh on her back; it was as if the flesh was being pulled from her. The transformation took only a minute, but it was a minute too long for Shayden. She was so anxious to take off in search of her mate that she only bothered with the shorts and t-shirt she had been wearing. Her underwear were left in dust as her wings carried her from the ground. The fleshy wings changed colour as she flew; they took on a blue-black hue and the ends grew to sharp points.

“Nixie!” After a further two hours of scanning almost every surface of Falls Plain, she began to scream her mate’s name. She perched upon a high branch in the tallest tree she could find. She would take this moment to scan, again, the area below her.

A scream to her left. Another shortly after, to her back. Two different voices; two very familiar voices. She did not have to think. She would go in the direction of her mate’s voice. Mirah would understand. Shayden hurt to know she was deserting her friend, but she also knew that Mirah would do the same, should she be in the same position.

The air beneath her wings was harsh. Every breath was fire in her lungs. Shayden closed her eyes and thought of her mate. She thought of the soft skin of Nixie’s right thigh. There, invisible to all humans, was the etching that marked her as a night-flyer mate. The unique blue-purple shades around the etching signified that she was the mate of a royal night-flyer.

Below she saw two figures. She heard strangled cries to her right; the place where she had originally heard Mirah. In front of her, now, was her mate and a mysterious male figure. She dived. Nixie looked up to watch in awe as Shayden’s determined form grew closer and closer with each passing millisecond.

Shayden’s body collided with the strange man who had scared her half to death a few minutes before. Their momentum carried them into a large tree, which promptly snapped in half, and slammed them into the one directly behind it.

“Stay away from my mate!” Shayden’s anger was deadly. It penetrated Nixie’s confused thoughts and sent her body forward at a surprising pace.