Chapter 4 - Surrounding me

Chapter 4

“Alona?” Her body was quivering from the effort to keep herself standing; slumped against the door-frame. Nix took slow unsure steps towards her, reaching out to help steady her. Alona flinched and pulled away to stand up straighter.

“I’m fine, now leave me alone.” Alona strode away down the hall and disappeared around the far corner.

“What the hell?” Nixie stood there in bewilderment. “I can’t believe that, all I was trying to do was help. Well fine, if she wants to be that way.” She stomped off to her own room and slipped into bed. I guess it’s about time to be leaving then. I’ll have to find my way back home tomorrow.

“Good morning.” Nixie uttered as she slumped into the room.

“Morning.” Alona was sat in the front lounge area, staring off out of the large folding glass doors the covered the entirety of two large walls. The ocean was a bright, clear blue behind her; beating rhythmically against the shore.

“I guess I’ll be heading home today.”

“Sounds good. I’ll drop you off if you’d like.”

Nixie had no idea what to say. She couldn’t let Alona, miss rich and elegant, see my crumby little home. The ever so very humble ‘Erikson Estate’.

“No, that’s okay, you can drop me off at KFC so I can get myself some breakfast first and then I’ll just walk home.” Nixie gave Alona a reassuring smile and turned around to head back down to pick up her stuff. “You said I could keep these clothes, right?” Nixie spoke as she turned the corner and found Alona speaking to herself.

“Yes, I know, bu-.. Nixie, that was fast.” Alona walked towards Nixie, placing a the large conch shell down on the tae as she went. “Well, I suppose it’s time to go so I’ll just go find my keys and we’ll be off, okay?”

“Sure.” Nixie replied absently as Alona moved around her and out the door. She wandered over to the coffee table and stared down at the shell. It was beautiful and looked foreign. “Strange.” She picked it up and moved it to her ear. The open part was against her earlobe. “No ocean sound?” She was about to move it away when she heard a voice come from the other side.

“Alona? Alona where’d you go? I found that very disrespectful.”

“What?” Nixie pulled the shell away from her ear and stared at it in amazement. Moving it closer she searched it for some sign of a speaker or microphone chip. “Hello?” She spoke into it and moved it back to her ear. The only thing she heard now was the strange ocean sound that every normal shell had. “Well either I’m going crazy or there’s a little person in this shell or some kind of device hidden really well in it.” She was still inspecting the shell when Alona walked back into the room.

“So I found them at long last. Let’s go. What are you doing?” Alona moved into the room quickly; panicked expression firmly in place.

“This thing spoke to me! I’m telling you I heard a voice in there, is this a phone?” Nixie held the shell up to Alona’s face.

“Yes, the microphone and speaker are hidden on the inside of the shell. It was really expensive, please be careful with it.” Nixie nodded and placed it carefully on the table before walking out of the room. Alona followed behind her smiling with relief.

“So how was your date with Peter?” Nixie sneered at her mother as she walked through the kitchen. She didn’t mean to be so nasty, but the subject just irked her. Okay, no, it seriously pissed her off.