Chapter 6 ~ Watching Me

Chapter 6

“What?!” Avner’s eyes were wild with fury. People scattered as a heavy metal chair flew through the air. A woman burst through the doors and her voice snapped him back to reality.

“Avner! What, may I ask, do you think you are doing? You could have hurt someone!” Queen Raya’s steps echoed through the emptying room. She waited a few more minutes for everyone to have left before she stared her husband down.

“You are acting ridiculous. Like a small child, throwing your toys out of the cot.” Avner turned to her and returned her glare.

“Well, if I am acting like a child, it is for good reason. Our child is acting like a complete and utter idiot!” He kicked another into the door, smashing it to pieces.

“Stop!” Queen Raya’s voice rang out through the room and echoed off the walls. The entire palace must have heard it.

“I will do what I will! I am king here, not you!” Avner stormed towards his wife. He stopped dead in his tracks as a sharp icicle pricked into his neck.

“You may be King, Avner, but do not forget that it is I who hold the most power. You’d do very well to remember that. Now, before you make any more rash moves, I will be taking care of our daughter and her misjudgement. You understand?” The icicle poked a bit harder into his skin and he nodded. “Good. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to leave for the White plain.”

Avner glared after his wife’s retreating back. He was sick of having to put up with the insolent woman. She might be more powerful, and in a duel, yes, she’d more than likely be the victor, but he was the king. Out of the duelling grounds, he was far superior.

“The scan shows no abnormalities, Princess. Should you want any further tests, she must be awake to give consent to a physical examination.” Alona nodded and dismissed the nurse. Nixie lay in the private royal hospital suite.

“What’d they say?” Shade waltzed into the room to stand beside Alona. Alona repeated the nurse’s words and continued to stare at Nixie’s sleeping form.

“She’ll be fine Alona. Why don’t you go get yourself some coffee and exercise those legs a bit, hmm?” Alona protested but Shade nudged her out the door, assuring her she wouldn’t leave Nixie’s side.

Shade stuck her head out into the lounge area of the suite and checked that no one was coming before turning back to Nixie. Shade reached to lift Nixie’s shirt up, but a hand stopped her. Shade jumped back in surprise and turned to look straight into Mirah’s eyes.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Mirah stared pointedly at Shade’s out-stretched hand.

“Looking to see if she’s been etched. Obviously.” Shade stared pointedly back at Mirah’s hands and mouth.