Chapter 12 ~

Chapter 12

Eyes peered through the trees. Concealed completely apart from the glowing grey orbs, the brownie spied upon his new enemy. And what a lovely one. No! Must not! How unfortunate that he’d been clearly instructed not to go within even ten yards of the lovely princess. She looked right beautiful with those long legs and that long, tightly curled hair. Oh how the job infuriated him. Just one bite. His thoughts again wondered. Just one bite. But NO! No, no, no. He has a job. Get information, get rid of girl, then get out.

But, oh…… How delicious. Such a waste…

Mirah rolled her eyes as she the obviously tense Nixie and Shayden. Couldn’t the girl do anything right? She dropped down from her perch in a tall, mossy tree. Nixie’s face registered with surprise, but Shayden was still too caught up in her own mind’s battle to take any notice that Mirah had even ‘dropped’ in on their situation.

“You’re thinking too hard.” Nixie’s mouth formed a small smile for all of a second before her face fell into a look of deep concentration again. And there, in that tiniest half of a second during which she smiled, her eyes looked up and Mirah saw the misery they held. Mirah had taken all of two steps towards them when she realised that just then wouldn’t be the most appropriate time to question Nixie about it.

“Hi, Mirah. What have you been up to, besides the leaves of the tree.” Again, a forced smile from Nixie. She pointed at the fallen leaves that covered the ground. They were large and thick.

Mirah smirked and winked at Nixie, then bent to pick up one of the leaves. “This, my dear, will provide us with the perfect accommodations.”

Well, that sure got her tongue. Nixie looked at Mirah in disbelief.

“So, what you’re saying is that, even though you can make doors that need to be tapped to be opened, portals that can transport us through space to different plains of the universe that I had, had no idea even existed, and do all kinds of other crazy poop that will probably take me a very long time to learn about; you can’t get us anything better to sleep on than a couple of leaves? Like as in leaves, like in the bush, like all primitive and shit.”

“You swear?” Mirah faked shock and rolled her eyes. “Yes, as in, ‘all primitive and shit.’” She winked again and waltzed over to another leaf. “Just be grateful I found this tree, these are the best leaves to make beds out of. Though I can only make two beds, unfortunately I fear the tree will come alive and knock me upside my head if I had to steal any more from it.”

Nixie rolled her eyes and bent to pick up another leaf that lay near where she now stood. She glanced over her shoulder to see that Shayden was staring at her. Or at least, to put it more clearly, at her buttocks – which were currently poised in the air. Noticing this Nixie sprang to attention and shot a confused and slightly embarrassed look at Shayden, who had bashfully refocused her eyes and was now staring into Nixie’s.

“You know Shayden, I have this shirt at home.”

“And?”

“I think the words on it would help you out in situations similar to this.”

“Go on.” Shayden raised her eyebrow and waited for Nixie to stop her silent laughing.

“In big bold letters across the chest area it says, ‘Tell your tits to stop staring at my eyes, wink.’”

Mirah turned around and laughed, Nixie was now laughing out loud, and Shayden only smiled slightly. When Nixie noticed this she quietened down and smiled gently at Shayden. Mirah wasn’t as tactful and went on to mock Shayden further.

“Yeah, Shayden, I have one for you too. It says, ‘Certain parts of me just happen to feel ‘cold’ when you’re around. Wink!’”

“Shut up Mirah.”

Shayden blushed but kept her head up. Her eyes met Nixie’s and the electricity between them was palpable. Mirah felt as if she could cut it with a knife. She still couldn’t understand how Shayden could possibly have messed up telling Nixie about them being mates. Nixie was already etched; there was no going back. But the fact that Shayden had etched Nixie before Nixie had had a chance to choose, or even be given a choice. That was wrong; that was why Shayden was holding back. But, why was Nixie?

“I’ll be fortunate enough to tell you two lovebirds that you’ll both be sharing your accommodations for the night.” Mirah grinned and hopped onto the small pile of leaves she’d made her single bed out of.

Nixie and Shayden protested and fought with Mirah for almost an hour before they gave up and just walked away. Nixie returned first and she lowered herself onto the soft leaves. They were thick and almost as comfortable as a regular bed back home. Her thoughts were wondering when Shayden finally snuck back into the small ring of trees that surrounded the larger one from which Mirah had plucked the leaves. She moved quietly to sit just out of sight of Nixie on the bed of leaves. Shayden reached out a hand and gently touched Nixie’s left thumb with the tip or her right index finger. Nixie jumped, startled from her thoughts, and spun to look into Shayden’s eyes.

“It’ll be cold tonight.” Nixie had no idea how to respond. Shayden smiled and carefully lowered herself onto her side and swung her legs up to curl up on the bed, but she left plenty room for Nixie.

“I wish I had brought a jacket.” The brunette girl moved to curl up on the bed herself and faced the opposite direction of Shayden. She told herself it was just because she didn’t want to keep Shayden awake with talk, but she knew that it was because she was afraid she’d do something. Goodness knows Nixie was just a slight, human girl and couldn’t hold a candle to Shayden’s night-flyer mate.

Shayden lay there unmoving, but restless for many hours before she finally decided that Nixie was shivering too violently from the cold. She scooted over and wrapped her arms around the beautiful woman who terrified the daylights out of her. Nixie tensed and Shayden nearly pulled away. Her hands tingled where they’d touched her mate. Nixie breathed in deeply and Shayden relaxed against her back. All she wanted to do was just share this soft moment with her mate. As happy as the beast inside of her was with this amazing reward, it still wanted more. Shayden feared that the beastly part of her would rip her skin to shreds from the inside out if she didn’t claim what was hers fully; if it didn’t feel like it belonged to its mate just as much as Nixie belonged to them. Funny thing, her beast; it had a mind of its own. But it couldn’t shred her into millions of fleshy pieces, and it wouldn’t. Not tonight, at least. But it's voice still beat against the hollows of her mind.

Strong Currents (lesbian)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें