Chapter 13 ~

I know that it has been three months! I APOLOGISE PROFUSELY!

I will try uploading again soon, because after that I'll be writing exams... and then I'll be on my way to a vacation in Australia! Woo! So anyway, I totally hope that you enjoy this next chapter - even if it might make you mad. :D Just smile and wave girls(and guys)... smile and wave...

Please remember to vote, comment, like, fan, tweet, etc... But most importantly, enjoy the reading :D

Chapter 13

Reeking, foul air, in little puffs, licked the skin at her neck.

A dream?

Nixie woke up, opened her eyes, and looked around.

Nothing.

Not one single thing out of place.

She looked down to the person, no, the breath-taking woman beside her and her eyebrows furrowed. Could Shayden’s morning breath really be that bad? She considered for a minute before leaning down. Once she was close enough she breathed in the air that expelled from between the two luscious lips.

It was definitely a scent to remember.

She breathed it in again. Her eyes closed. Shayden had the most amazing scent, ever. If she could bottle it, she’d be rich beyond her dreams. Definitely nothing foul about that. I wonder…

“Do I stink or something?” Shayden had her one, open eye transfixed on Nixie’s face, which was in very close proximity to her own. Nixie blushed profusely and rolled her eyes.

“Yes! Terribly!” Nixie made gagging sounds and giggled at Shayden’s red face. Shayden stood up and smiled slightly, then walked off through the trees. Nixie felt bad; she had just been joking. Did Shayden really think that she thought  she smelled bad? If anything, she said  that to keep herself from admitting that Shayden smelled good enough to eat. Eat… Woops, bad comparison.

“I am in awe! Is Shayden up before noon?” Mirah’s hair was standing up every which way and a few leaves were tangled in her long, red locks.

“I think I upset her. I was just joking! I really do not think that she stinks.” Nixie was desperate to get her point across. Mirah was Shayden’s best friend after all, she could help.

“Nixie. Shayden’s a little self-conscious. Especially when it comes to you.”

“How so?”

“Well she spoke to you last night about finding mates and such right? Did she mention that she’d found hers?” Nixie paled at the mention of Shayden having a mate. Why, why the one girl that I happen to like; a lot.

Mirah watched as Nixie went from an alarmingly pale shade to a bright red. So she knew; but was she afraid? “Nixie, being with a night-flyer can seem quite scary at first. I know the, uh, tentacles can be a hard part to swallow. My mate fainted when I showed her mine. But she got over it. And then she left me… but that isn’t my point. My point is that, while we are very scary creatures, we are the most loyal and fiercely protective in the entire universe. Nixie wouldn’t harm you if it meant that it would cost her, her own life.”

Nixie looked into Mirah’s eyes. What is she trying to say? The way she’s talking it’s as if… as if she thinks that I am Shayden’s mate. But that’s impossible isn’t it? Shayden already has one. Or so I assumed. And if she does, does that mean that I could possibly be that woman? Me? Pathetic, little, humanoid me?

“Mirah, when did Shayden know who her mate was?” This would be the easiest way to figure out if Mirah had actually been talking as if she assumed that Shayden had told me. If there was anything to tell, that is.

“The night that she busted me out of White Noise. We thought Earth Two was a good place to stop for a little while. As we arrived… she went into convulsions. We all thought she was dying! And then ‘poof’, she stood up, her eyes were glowing and she said, “I’ve found my mate”. I didn’t get it at first, but then when I sunk in, you know, we all celebrated with a flight over the dark blue beaches of Margate. One minute she was there, and then she was gone! When we found her it looked like she was trying to rip the skin from her flesh. And then obviously that’s when we saw you.” We swooped in, and we covered the area and distracted everyone until she had finished etching you.”

“Etching me?” Mirah saw the surprise and confusion on Nixie’s face and she knew she had made a mistake.

“She didn’t tell you last night?”

“No apparently I’m not good enough to know that I am her mate! And what is ‘etching’? Nobody ever tells me what’s going on! How could she do that to me? Keep me in the dark… does she not want me?” Nixie’s voice trailed off as she realised that that is exactly the case. Shayden didn’t want her. Why would she?

“Nixie she wants you, she’s just afraid.”

“Afraid of what? Afraid that I’m going to disappoint her? I evidently already have.” Without another word, Nixie ran away, ran through the trees and pushed her muscles to race forward as fast as her thoughts were running in her mind.

“Shayden!” Mirah was calling her. She didn’t care. She just wanted to be left alone with her thoughts. “Shayden! Hurry!” Hurry where? She could hurry herself up and get out of hearing range! “Shayden, stop just sitting there and sulking! I messed up. I am so, so, so sorry!” Shayden’s ears perked up.

“Sorry for what, Mirah?” The venom in Shayden’s voice was distinct.

“I told her, and she’s gone.” Mirah’s voice was small. She shrunk backwards, fearing the outburst that would surely erupt from Shayden as she discovered what Mirah had done.

“Told who, what?” Shayden had given Mirah her full attention now. Mirah knew that it would take Shayden less than a few seconds to skin her alive and rip the flesh from her bones. Mirah’s hands shook; so did Shayden’s.

“I thought you had told her Shayden. It was an accident. The way she talked, it was as if she knew. I promise! I didn’t mean to!” Shayden was poised, ready for attack.

“WHAT, did you tell her?” Mirah was silent. Shayden’s voice was deadly as she repeated her question. “Mirah, what did you say to my mate?”

“I told her that she was your mate.” She began to back away into the trees as Shayden stood up.

“What?” Shayden was stalking towards her now.

“I told her tha-”

“I do not need you to repeat it! What I want to know is, why. Why? Why, why, why, why, why?” Each why was punctuated with a large, calculated step in Mirah’s direction.

Mirah fled.

Shayden followed.

Night flyers are, after all, the most loyal and fiercely protective species in the entire universe.